repairs on powered mixers

• Members

i have a yamaha emx660 powered mixer and it doesn't turn on, hit the switch and no light or fan or signal. anybody have any ideas what the problem could be? i took it to my local music store, but they charge 53 just to diagnose it, and i figured first i'd try to find out what's wrong and decide if i want to pay for the repair or something new (i'd prefer to have a mixer and power amp sepeartae, but this is an old thing my friend ddoesnt want anymore).

thanks

• Members

i have a yamaha emx660 powered mixer and it doesn't turn on, hit the switch and no light or fan or signal. anybody have any ideas what the problem could be?

Well... this might be out of left field, but I've seen it before: I believe that mixer has one of those detachable computer style cords. From what I can tell, the panel mount receptacle is sized to the amperage draw, being that the "pins" in the receptacle are shorter in length in higher amperage rated receptacles, while the female sockets in of the female cord end are "deeper" in lower amperage rated cords. Point being, is if you plug a 10A (like 18ga. IEC 320-10) cord into a 15A (IEC 320-15) socket, it won't pass power... and the device won't power-up.

• Members

No idea that would be even remotely customer serviceable.

Maybe that mixer has a IEC 320 power inlet with an integrated fuse? If so, maybe the fuse is blown, and replacing it might just blow again (cause the output transformers are shorted)... but I bought more than one piece of used gear that was DOA, just to find the fuse had been removed (for undetermined reasons), but replacing it brought the unit back to life.

I guess that is one possible customer serviceable item... maybe?

• Members

1- leave the mixer unplugged

2 -there are 3 screws on each side on the back of the mixer. Remove them and pull the back cover off using the plastic hooks the power cord wraps around

3 - You should see some fuse holders. If you have a friend with a multimeter, check to see if they're blown. If the fuses are good then you can also check the power cord and the on/off switch with the multimeter. Beyond that I would take it to someone who knows the mixer.

• Members

yeah i understand the charge for labor and such, but they shouldn't call it a deposit, because i was under the assumption it could be reimbursed. and there are only 2 guys there that are cool, and when i walked and asked the young kid at the desk if the one friend was working, the kid got uppity and said "so, what is chris the only guy you do deals with?" and i looked him in dead in the face and said "he's my friend and i wanted to say hi" it's one thing to be jerk where you work, but if you're going to deal with customer's upfront, they should definately work on their people skills.

anyway, more to the point, i got out my drill and such, and the majority of the screws are all ready stripped so i can't take the back panel off. i think it's maybe time that i retire it and spend money ona good mixer and amp. oh well...

Archived