Looking for Speakers

• Members

Ok Guys, I'm looking for some starter speakers to begin my DJ'ing rig. I have been looking at the:

Peavey PR12 ($169 each)

Yorkville YX12 ($199 each)

I plan on powering these in stereo with a Mackie FR-800 (205W/channel @8ohms)

I also plan on gettin an additional amp with a sub later on, and will remain using these as tops.

What speaker do you think suits me better? If you have any other suggestion in that price range, please let me know!

Thanks!

• Members

If you're not planning on using subs right away, go for either the PR15s or YX15s. A pair of those on stands will get you some decent volume with more bottom than the 12s. Both are efficient and decent quality cabs. You can add some thump when you get the $$$. A pair of Yamaha club15s would be another possibility, but a little more money and a little more weight. Al

• Members

I see. Well I though 12's would be a better option to have once I get a sub. I figured I could save a little cash now by getting the 12's, and then it'll sound better once I get subs.

I also figured that my amp would match better with 12's. Looking at the specs, it looks like my amp may be a bit small for a good 15" cab. Right?

• Members

I see. Well I though 12's would be a better option to have once I get a sub. I figured I could save a little cash now by getting the 12's, and then it'll sound better once I get subs.

I also figured that my amp would match better with 12's. Looking at the specs, it looks like my amp may be a bit small for a good 15" cab. Right?

12s are generally considered better in live PA applications, for vocals (when used with subs), but this is not always true and really does not make that much difference in most DJ applications. What you will notice right away for your application is that the 15s will put out more bottom end. Both PR12 and PR15 have the same power rating and your amp has enough power to get plenty of volume for small to medium gigs - depending on the type of music etc...given the small difference in price, the 15s would be the better choice for now. Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Even when you do get a sub or subs, in certain cases you will probably end up leaving them at home since you will find your pair of 15s sufficient for many occasions. I`ve tried to DJ with only a pair of 12s (Yorkville NX350s) on a few smaller occasions, but I always found myself wanting more bass... When I rented a pair of NX600s - (15'' version of the NX350), I compared them and was blown away by how much more bottom I was getting with the 15, even though the frequency specs for both boxes were almost identical... If you can, listen to the 12s and 15s, you should hear a difference. Al

• CMS Author

Also, what is the difference between the PR15 and the PV15? The PV15 is ~$20 more, but what speaker would fit my needs better? Or should I just save up and shell out for the JBL JRX115?

Help!

The difference is a molded cabinet vs a wood-product cabinet. IMO the JBL JRX is not a better speaker. If you're going to save up, and I strongly suggest you do so if you can, you'll get much better results with JBL MRX, or Peavey SP, or Yorkville NX.

• Members

A man of few words I see, lol.

Would they perform twice as good even with my current amp:

Mackie FR-800 (205W/channel @ 8 Ohms)

Thanks so much for your help, guys!

You would see a bigger difference with a bigger amplifier. The power handling of an SP2 is much higher than a PR15 mostly due to the bigger horn and higher power 4'' voice coil Black Widow woofer. With your amp, the SP2 might sound a little louder because of slightly higher efficiency and would put out a little more bottom end because of the deeper+bigger wood enclosure (which also makes them much heavier). Probably not enough to justify the doubling of price though. You would notice a bigger difference (for your money) with 4 PR15s since they would draw more power from your amp and you would have a total of four 15'' woofers moving air. With this combination, you might not even want subs...but you would eventually want a bigger amp... So many variables... Anyway, the SP2 is an all around better performer and can provide much higher output. The SP5 is also excellent and a little less money than the SP2. Might be worth checking out. Try to listen to a few speakers with music you are familiar with or rent a pair and take them out to a gig. That will give you the best idea of what you like and what you need. :thu: Al

• Members

Thanks Al!

So the only difference between the PR15 and the PV15 is the enclosure material? There should be no sound difference between the two?

I can't justify spending ~900 for a pair of mains right now, so I'll be deciding between the:

Peavey PR15

Peavey PV15

JBL JRX115

• Members

Thanks Al!

So the only difference between the PR15 and the PV15 is the enclosure material? There should be no sound difference between the two?

I can't justify spending ~900 for a pair of mains right now, so I'll be deciding between the:

Peavey PR15

Peavey PV15

JBL JRX115

If you have a dealer who stocks Wharfedale, have a listen to the EVP-X15s. I really like mine. Also, the Yamaha BR15s are around your price range.

Between the PR15 and PV15, the enclosure is the main difference. How is the weight? The PR should be lighter which is a major + in my book. Al

• Members

Our guitarist just bought a set of PR15's:thu: and PR 15 subs :thu: we power them with my CrownXLS 602 which is 300watts a cab sounds great running Roland V drums and guitar Pod and vox we have stands for the mid/hi's and set the 2 subs dead center stage and use powered monitors and it's fantastic for set up and go in small clubs plenty of SPL and sound decent enough to please our ears. Cool thing about the PR15's I can actually put them on a speaker stand by myself.:cool:

Archived