basic PA questions

• Members

Ok, I had a different thread about Carvin PA equipment, but it didn't seem that many people were fans of the Carvin stuff. So, I'm trying to narrow down a couple of different options. I would like the basic PA (not including mics, cables, etc.) to be right around $1000. Here's some background info to help. The system is going to be used (at least for now) for vocals, keyboard, and acoustic guitars. It is not going to have to be louder than a drummer or be used for any kind of large venues. If I go with a mixer/powered speaker setup, I would prefer the mixer have a USB connector so I can also record with my computer. I have no experience with PA equipment, so I don't know if one brand is known/thought to be better than another.

Is using a single powered speaker decent to start off with? I figure if I need more power later, I can always add more speakers. I'm thinking one of these: Mackie SRM450, JBL Eon 15 G2, or Yorkville NX55P. They are all ~$700. The Yorkville has the most power and is the least expensive of the three. The JBL is the only one with a 15" speaker, though.

For mixers, I was looking at these 3: Alesis Multimix 12 Firewire, PV10 USB, or Yamaha MW12. All of them are $299.

Also, let me know if there is a better option or if getting two less expensive speakers is better. I am definitely open to suggestion, but please try to stay within the budget. I still have to buy a couple of mics and stuff, so I can't go much higher than $1000.

• Members

What about 2 Powered Peavey PR-12Ps for speakers and a Mackie 1202-VLZ3 Mixer (or similar)? This package with some standard speaker stands would run you around $1100, and I'm sure you could get your salesman to throw in cables free of charge. Anyway, the Peavey speakers are biamped, so they will sound better than standard passive speakers and an amp. Seems like a good system to me.

Good Luck! :thu:

• Members

So two Peavey speakers would sound better than one Yorkville? I'm going more for sound quality, not loudness.

Well, they seem to be very good speakers and have earned the respect of many on this forum. The Peaveys would make great mains. And eventually when you pull some more cash together, move the Peaveys to monitor duty and get a bigger better FOH system. That would be a great plan of action!

:thu:

• Members

I'd go for the Yorkville NX55P. My sister has some Peavey PR-15P's she bought for her daughter that does some DJ'ing only. We do a couple live gigs near my sister, small bar gigs. But I decided to rent other basic speakers, since the Peaveys I feel are better for DJ use.

For acoustic 1 NX55P should be enough. And for the keys, it would probably sound much better than the Peaveys.

• Members

I'd go for the Yorkville NX55P. My sister has some Peavey PR-15P's she bought for her daughter that does some DJ'ing only. We do a couple live gigs near my sister, small bar gigs. But I decided to rent other basic speakers, since the Peaveys I feel are better for DJ use.

For acoustic 1 NX55P should be enough. And for the keys, it would probably sound much better than the Peaveys.

I was always under the impression that Peavey was a good, solid "working man's" brand. I'd prefer something maybe one step above that, so that's why I was thinking Yorkville, Mackie, or JBL. Plus, the Yorkville also seems to be pretty highly regarded here.

• Members

I was always under the impression that Peavey was a good, solid "working man's" brand. I'd prefer something maybe one step above that, so that's why I was thinking Yorkville, Mackie, or JBL. Plus, the Yorkville also seems to be pretty highly regarded here.

In that case, what about a JBL PRX-512M? The PRX seem to be a very solid new line by JBL. :thu:

• Members

That one looks like a really good speaker... $900 wouldn't leave me with much for a mixer, though.

Well as far as I can tell and all that I have heard from others, the PRX would surpass any other speaker you listed in many categories and is worth the extra bit of cash. I have never heard it personally, but I trust my fellow forumites. And on the mixer, if you got something like a Mackie 1202-VLZ3, that's about $300 and I'm sure you could get your salesman to knock down the price a bit to save you some money. I bought about $1600 worth of gear at the local GC the other day and managed to only pay $1300 or so out the door including tax. So, I'm sure you could score that gear for just over $1000, which is around your budget. And that system would be way better than any others you have listed.

And eventually, when you pull some more cash together, get a second PRX speaker and you will have one kick-ass sound system!

:thu:

• CMS Author

Oh yeah, if I end up going with a mixer that doesn't have USB, what would be a good way to record w/my computer?

M-audio and others make interfaces with either USB or Firewire connectivity at the PC end, and XLR mic and 1/4" line on the input end. But most cost about $200 or more, so you may as well keep the Alesis, Peavey, etc. in mind. IMO your budget doesn't really allow for the mid-line speakers such as the PRX-512. You could buy one and figure on a really cheap mixer, and add on as you go.

• Members

I think the NX55P is going to be the route I take. It seems like a good deal. The higher end JBL probably sounds better, but I just can't justify the extra cost. I'm not really going to make any money doing this, it's just for practicing and maybe small gigs.

• Members

I think the NX55P is going to be the route I take. It seems like a good deal. The higher end JBL probably sounds better, but I just can't justify the extra cost. I'm not really going to make any money doing this, it's just for practicing and maybe small gigs.

Very solid choice. I have two and think they are great sounding speakers in a very compact and lightweight (for powered speakers) package. Enjoy!

• Members

How about mixers? I'd prefer one with a PC interface, but the ones I listed seem to be the only ones I can find like that. Mackie makes an Onyx mixer with Firewire, but the cheapest one is $750.

How much are you looking to spend? I mean if $750 is too much... what amount is just right? If you want PC connectivity you could get a Peavey PV-14 USB for around $350... or a Peavey PV-20 USB for around $500... Both seem to get good reviews and are well liked around this forum by many...

• Members

I didn't see anyone mention it but one of the ideas of haveing more than one speaker if for coverage. 2 slightly lesser speakers will allow a lot more people to enjoy your music than 1 better one. If you plan on purchaseing another one soon then your plan makes sense (unless you're playing on a stage at the end of a hallway:D ).

As for mixers with digital outs you might look at Phonic mixers (I've never used one but they seem built OK (for the money) and they're priced pretty reasonable).

• Members

Is there a soundcard you would recommend for running the L/R from the mixer into my computer? My mobo has decent built-in audio, so I never added a soundcard. This may be a question better asked in the recording forum, but they never seem to answer me there. If I didn't have to worry about Firewire/USB, it would open up mixer options for me (and make it that much more difficult to decide :p)

I didn't see anyone mention it but one of the ideas of haveing more than one speaker if for coverage. 2 slightly lesser speakers will allow a lot more people to enjoy your music than 1 better one. If you plan on purchaseing another one soon then your plan makes sense (unless you're playing on a stage at the end of a hallway:D ).

As for mixers with digital outs you might look at Phonic mixers (I've never used one but they seem built OK (for the money) and they're priced pretty reasonable).

At this point in time, if the PA is used in front of an audience at all, it will be for a very small amount of people. If I ever start having real gigs, I could buy more speakers. Also, isn't Phonic low end stuff?

• Members

You can always record the way we did before USB and Firewire existed... L/R mix into your soundcard's line in. Pretty darn simple and cheap. You might need isolation transformers if you run your computer off a power supply, but with batteries probably not.

Been there did that usually the stock sound cards were kinda cheesy sounding, but I would just pick up a M-Audio 24/96 card about 80$ new and download free recording software run a set of RCA cable from tape out off mixer into the M-audio and your done pretty cheap set up that's how we do it. You won't have the ability to run individual trax but it teaches your ass how to mix properly because you''ll learn real quick what instrument dominating the mix which should be vocals. Now if you want individual trax your gonna have to cough up mo money but seems like you already have limited funds. good luck

• Members

Been there did that usually the stock sound cards were kinda cheesy sounding, but I would just pick up a M-Audio 24/96 card about 80$ new and download free recording software run a set of RCA cable from tape out off mixer into the M-audio and your done pretty cheap set up that's how we do it. You won't have the ability to run individual trax but it teaches your ass how to mix properly because you''ll learn real quick what instrument dominating the mix which should be vocals. Now if you want individual trax your gonna have to cough up mo money but seems like you already have limited funds. good luck

Are you saying you can't record multiple tracks at all, or just multiple tracks at once? I'm completely green when it comes to recording, so I probably sound pretty ignorant. Is the line in on soundcards stereo? Could I at least have one guitar panned left and one panned right?

• Members

It depends on what sound card you buy some are 2x2 meaning 2 in and 2 out others are 4x4 and so on so on . The one I mentioned is a 2x2 if memory serves me meaning 2 analog which is RCA on that particular card and two out for monitoring what goes in. Theirs two ways you can go about recording with this card there's whole band in mixer appraoch which as I posted earlier teaches your ass how to mix a whole band with a mixer. Then there's track by track approach meaning each band member records their part by itself. You can submix the drums after guitar parts and bass is done and yes you can pan L/R with this approach but you should post your question over on the recording forum this is pretty much off topic. Or just PM me I can go into in dept details with you because recording is more my forte'. It what i cut my teeth on first.

• Members

If you want multiple tracks, you need a firewire device. We use a Phonic Helix 24 MKII that sends 18 channels of prefader signals into Cubase (or Audacity/Kristal which are free GNU software). It's much cheaper than the Onyx and does not have the compatibility issues that the Alesis unit has. Bonus: It works great as a soundboard for a live mix.

Archived