EAW NT59s and subwoofer question

• Members

Hi, I just recently bought a pair of EAW NT59s and was wondering if anyone else has any experience with these cabs? I am in a weekend warrior band and we usually mix from stage. We have been using Mackie 450s and 1501 subs[2 or 4 tops and 2 or 3 subs depending on venue]. THe EAWs are 1500 watt powered boxes and I am wondering if the 1501s will be able to keep up. I am unable to buy better subs right now although I can get another another used 1501 fairly cheap. Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.

• Members

Well I cant comment from experience but if you put all 3 subs center clustered in a group all coupled together you will probably be able to stay close to the NT's. Please do give us your thoughts about the NT's too as mentioned above, I'd love to hear about those!

• Members

Well I used my EAWs last night and I am impressed! My band was playing for a winter fair dance with 300-400 people in the building. I was a little worried because we only had about 10 minutes for a sound check. I ran all three of my Mackie 1501s in a center cluster and turned them up to around 2:00. My graphic EQ was set flat with just a little bit of boost between 2 and 4k. Anyway the EAWs sounded amazing, clear as a bell and loud. The building we were in was big with a high ceiling and I was worried that I would need more PA but we had plenty of headroom. I had numerous people come up and tell me that the band sounded great. Next week-end we are playing in bar that I have played in for the last 10 years. It is a challenge because the acoustics are pretty bad, lots of hard reflective surfaces and a low ceiling. I will be able to do a decent soundcheck so that will help. The EAWs are a big step up from my Mackie 450s price wise but I am glad I made the investment. Jeff

• Members

TimmyP, I think it was the room that created the need for the boost around 2 and 4k. I was running sound from stage and was told by my guitar players who were standing out front during the sound check that I needed to add some high-end. There was a duo performing on a smaller stage while we were setting up so we had seriously 10 minutes after they were done to do a soundcheck. The quick fix was to add more highs with the Graphic EQ[dbx Ieq 215]. Next weekend I will have time to do a real soundcheck.

Archived