Mackie M 1400i power amplifier

• Members

Hey, I'm thinking about racking up another power amp and I'm interested in this one. I like the built in crossovers and the ability to daisy-chain it with additional amps. I've never used this amp, and since its kind of outdated I haven't been able to find any good reviews. Does anyone have any experience with this amp?

• Members

On studio monitors, I've tested the Crown K1, Crown K2, Crown, Crown CE4000, Crown MicroTech 1200, Mackie 1400i. The K1 sounded the best (although not very good), the Mackie was the worst. I would have thought that the differences would not be of concern in a PA application, but when I compared the K1 and K2 in a bass rig, the K1 sounded quite a bit better. So......

I've not compared any of the above to any QSC or any Crown XTi.

• Members

I have a 1400 that has been in service for approx. 7 years and still works fine. It has survived a 4' fall, slamming face first onto a concrete floor. Other than that it has had an easy life, usually driving 8ohm loads/channel or 4 at the most. It sounds the same as every other professional amplifier in the world unless it's filters are engaged or the CD horn ''air'' switch is engaged. Then it sounds better or worst, depending on the particular speakers used with it. If you were to compare it with an other amplifier with higher input sensitivity for example, the other amp might sound louder, which would lead some to believe it sounded better. ;) I've never heard differences between pro amps aside from fan noise. Some amps will sound better when driven to clipping or with particularly demanding loads however. Al

Archived