Can you help me hook up my old PA?

• Members

The drummer that I play with got an old EV mixer (http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Mixers/Owners%20Manuals/BK-1632%20Owners%20Manual.pdf)

and a few old power amps (Traynor pm-300 and some old Crown).

I've hooked up PA's before but this one has me stumped. I have no idea how to hook it up.

I am using a PA at home and it's easy to hook up. I plug the left and right outs of the mixer into the left and right ins on the amp and hook the speakers up to the amp. Cake. I can pan vocals/cds/instruments left and right.

With the old PA that I'm trying to hook up, there is only one main send and I don't think it's stereo. Currently we are hooking it up to a Traynor PM-300 (which I'm not sure if it's more than one channel or not...) and I can't seem to get this set up to run in stereo.

We have a turntable guy, who we'd like to be in stereo, and a drum mix that we'd like to pan around.

How do we hook this all up to use the stereo capabilities?

Thanks.

Yo.

• Members

Use the Sub L for Left and Sub R for right. The main out is a mono out of Sub L and Sub R.

You are f'n kidding me. It's that easy? I feel like a moron.

Thanks for the help.

How would a turntable be plugged in? It's output is an RCA left and right cable. Would I use two channels (I'm guessing) and pan them?

Yo.

• Members

You will want to use a turntable preamp/interface. Vinyl uses RIAA equalization and all phono preamps have the correct de-emphesis curve built in. DJ mixers have this, you can then take the preamp (or line) out to the line input of your regular mixer. Wathch the levels of the DJ mixer out though, they can get high enough to overdrive your PA mixer's inputs if not careful.

• Members

You will want to use a turntable preamp/interface. Vinyl uses RIAA equalization and all phono preamps have the correct de-emphesis curve built in. DJ mixers have this, you can then take the preamp (or line) out to the line input of your regular mixer. Wathch the levels of the DJ mixer out though, they can get high enough to overdrive your PA mixer's inputs if not careful.

Currently we are doing this. He's got a left and right signal comming out of an RCA cable. I'm just curious if he'd have to use two channels (panned left and right) or if I had the right connector, the channel would accept stereo and work fine.

Thanks.

Yo.

• Members

The BK1632 has an "Aux IN" on the rear panel but this is not a traditional Aux[illary] IN we find on mixers today. This one simply sends whatever signal is being received out through the Aux Send output. So don't bother trying to use this input.

The easiest method giving you the most control over level, pan and EQ, is to as you said go in to two seperate channels.

A single channel will not be able to function in stereo.

• Members

IN we find on mixers today. This one simply sends whatever signal is being received out through the Aux Send output. So don't bother trying to use this input.

The easiest method giving you the most control over level, pan and EQ, is to as you said go in to two seperate channels.

A single channel will not be able to function in stereo.

I guess we can see why it was discontinued. Thanks for the help.

Yo.

Archived