Helping me compare speakers...

• Members

Hey folks - we recently blew our PR 12's and are looking at new speakers. While I am a fan of the Yamaha club series and some JBLs I saw, a couple of the other guys in the band just keep bringing up wattage handling. Now - maybe I am being naive, but I struggle to believe that our $169 PR12s (which claim they are rated at what - 500 or 1000 watts?) are going to handle more than something like the Yamaha club series 15's which I think are rated at 250 watts. Now - are we really comparing apples to apples here? I remember when I was a kid and had Peavy amps always hearing something about how they rated their wattage compared to the other amps - but I don't recall now.

With things like price and weight of the speaker in mind - what suggestions would you make for a rock and roll cover band playing small - medium sized bars and clubs?

Thanks.

• Members

Now - are we really comparing apples to apples here? I

Hard to say

The PR12's are rated 200W continuous/400 program 800 peak and rated using AES 2-1984 specs.

The Yamaha Club's are rated 250 cont/500 program/1000 peak but I don't know by what method they rate them.

You say you blew your speakers. What exactly does that mean? Did you lose the woofer, the HF driver, the crossover or what? What were you powering them with? Did you have any HP filters engaged? Limiters?

• Members

You know, completely off topic, this is one of the things I really love about this place. Someone comes in with a Peavey question and there's a guy from Peavey coming in to answer it, less than a half hour later.

Anyway, carry on.

Customer Service :thu: :thu: :thu: :thu: :thu: :thu:

• Members
when I say "blew them" - we are actually waiting to find out exactly what happened. They just started making a really obnoxious popping noise.

Were you overpowering them? There is a reason that they are as cheap as they are. Was it the woofers thay sounded bad, the horns, both? And both speakers sound the same? Were you trying to get low frequencies out of them that aren't really there to get? I see the Yam Clubs as being a very modest step up. There are lots of speakers in that price range or less that I'd buy first.

• Members

LOL - I didn't even realize he was from Peavy! Wow that is pretty darn strong I must say. So Mr Peavy - if I stuck with Peavy what's my next step up? What difference will I notice if I went with the PR15's?

Thanks.

Mr Peavey is the guy who sits down at the end of the hall :)

If you went from PR12's to PR15's you get a bit more low end. If you added a pair you get more output but you'd probably suffer a bit from comb filtering.

If you are looking for more bass why not add a pair of PR subs to the existing pair you already have.

It will be interesting when you get the results of your test. Generally when you get a "obnoxious popping noise" it's not the speakers but something else. Do the speakers still sound ok if you turn them down? I'm just guessing, but it sounds like you are sending too many lows and bottoming out the woofer. That's an excursion problem so it doesn't really matter how many "watts" you are sending the speaker. you need to block the very deep lows from reaching your speaker. I don't know what music you are running to your speakers but PR12's should really only be used for vocals. If you are running DJ or drums into them ... you are using the wrong speakers.

• Members

I don't know if this will help, but I had the same sound coming from my speakers (CV PSX123). I noticed it when playing CD's through the PA and I was trying to get some low end from them with boosting the EQ a little bit, especially in the 125hz range. I too though that I had blown the speaker, however, now that I have a sub and a active x'over, I haven't heard that popping sound since and the speakers now sound way better,

Hope this helps

• Members

Hey Don - here's is the report I just got from where we took the speakers - a place called Creative Acoustics here in Raleigh, NC. Can you give me your thoughts on this...

"I just talked to Jay at Creative Acoustics. He says the speakers themselves are fine. What he is seeing when he does a frequency sweep is a sound being produced by the cabinet itself. He says the plastic is actually flexing and making the sound. He says that he can press on both sides and make it stop. This suggests that the cabinet material may have fatigued."

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Mr Peavey is the guy who sits down at the end of the hall
:)

If you went from PR12's to PR15's you get a bit more low end. If you added a pair you get more output but you'd probably suffer a bit from comb filtering.

If you are looking for more bass why not add a pair of PR subs to the existing pair you already have.

It will be interesting when you get the results of your test. Generally when you get a "obnoxious popping noise" it's not the speakers but something else. Do the speakers still sound ok if you turn them down? I'm just guessing, but it sounds like you are sending too many lows and bottoming out the woofer. That's an excursion problem so it doesn't really matter how many "watts" you are sending the speaker. you need to block the very deep lows from reaching your speaker. I don't know what music you are running to your speakers but PR12's should really only be used for vocals. If you are running DJ or drums into them ... you are using the wrong speakers.

If you were running both vocals and a drum machine (dr880), what would you recommend? A 12 with a sub? a 15? If a sub, what size? thx

Archived