FOH graphic

• Members

Ive had a dual 31 EQ on FOH forever but i can count on one hand the amount of times that i have ever had to use it. How many of you use your FOH graphics ??. I have been told by several other (good ) sound guys that if you have good quality matched FOH you will rarely have to touch your EQ...Just curious???

Jess...:thu:

• Members

Good for you! That's exactly the way I think it should be done.

If you play outside you will get almost exactly the true frequency response of your speakers. So if your speakers are balanced by the manufacturer you shouldn't need any extra EQ (I'm also assuming that your amp rack is balanced out too).

Indoors, if the room isn't tiny, you should get close to the same thing. You will get room modes but you can't really EQ them away. ElectroVoice once did a study of an old system they sold where they played and measured the system in 100 different venues. The results ... the speakers were +/- 3 dB from what they measured in the chamber in all venues (above 100 Hz).

I guess it depends on what you are using the EQ for. I use them to match speakers to rooms. Some people use them for "tone shaping". I think they are the wrong tool to use for that most times.

• CMS Author

It'd be ideal to have good sounding speakers but you'll run into environments where there are stray resonances. This is where the FOH EQ is essential - it's not just a cabinet correction device.

Those would be room modes, and as dboomer wrote, a graphic EQ isn't very good at handling them either.

• Members

Rarely do I have to do much with te eq, my system is very flat and predictable without much correction. This is the ideal way to do things. If you find yourself constantly correcting, then you probably have some serious deficiencies throughout your system... starting with speakers and ending with mics and how the system is physically arranged. The room can also be an issue of course.

• Members

Ive had a dual 31 EQ on FOH forever but i can count on one hand the amount of times that i have ever had to use it. How many of you use your FOH graphics ??. I have been told by several other (good ) sound guys that if you have good quality matched FOH you will rarely have to touch your EQ...Just curious???

Jess...
:thu:

Well if you don't need it just send it to me I have a all wood rehearsal room with lots of FB probs. my DBX 215 isn't the best to solve the th FB control your dormant dual 31 EQ would work. :D

• Members

Gymnasium anyone?

No doubt that Gyms are awful ... but a GEQ isn't the answer to that problem.

Most Gym problems are time related (long reverberant times) and the wrong choice for speakers. Your usual club cabs (with 90x40 horns) are just the wrong tool. You usually need very directional speakers in rooms with a large rt60.

• Members

I had to use my FOH EQ to make the inadequate FOH speakers (JBL JRX's )sound a little better...I'm assuming once I upgrade to the yorkie EF500's I will not need to touch much....

For monitors , a must ..as you never know when you need to pull down a frequency to control a squeal....imo

• Members

Jess...
:thu:

Depends on what you mean by "using" them. Mine gets a slight tweak many nights if there is a need. But even if you initially use it to set the response you want with your system and then never adjust it after that, you are still using it.

• Members

Depends on what you mean by "using" them. Mine gets a slight tweak many nights if there is a need. But even if you initially use it to set the response you want with your system and then never adjust it after that, you are still using it.

I mean they have stayed flat for a very very long time, If there is a problem freq I'm much more inclined to play around with the channel strip eq on my desk and 9,9 times outa ten this will correct the problem...for me anyhow....:thu:

Jess...;)

• Members

If I boost the EQ slightly on my mixer, is this okay? I think I usually boost the bass up a bit (1-3 db?) and sometimes the treble too. IMO, it makes my Yammys sound better, but if I shouldn't do this, then I won't anymore. Any problem doing this?

I run my FOH EQ flat for the most part, and when I spin discs for setbreak, it doesn't sound very good unless I boost the highs and lows a bit on the mixer.

• Members

If I boost the EQ slightly on my mixer, is this okay? I think I usually boost the bass up a bit (1-3 db?) and sometimes the treble too. IMO, it makes my Yammys sound better, but if I shouldn't do this, then I won't anymore. Any problem doing this?

Nope ... that's the right way to do it. You are performing tone correction using the tone correction controls. A GEQ would be the wrong tool for the job

• Members

Nope ... that's the right way to do it. You are performing tone correction using the tone correction controls. A GEQ would be the wrong tool for the job

ok..I think I've learned something new here...then i was wrong in using my FOH EQ to tone shape my inadeqaute speakers...I should have benn using my mixers 7 band eq??

just to clarify..:confused:

• Members

Unless you find yourself doing this on every channel.

Exactly. Then you know you should dial in your whole system's response before "doctoring" at the channel strip. I use the main EQ to set the response that I want overall for the system in that venue and then use the strip EQ to tailor what is in each specific channel.

Archived