Peavey SP5

• Members

First of all, thanks to the people who keep this forum going. I've been playing music for recreation for some time, but have little knowledge of the technical side of things. I just show up and ask where to plug in. Reading over the threads here has given me some hope!

I'm in the process of putting together a relatively small, yet versitile PA for my basement. This would be used by myself and my teenage kids as well. I have no immediate plans for taking this on the road anytime soon. But, if the occasion ever arrose where I was playing a small club or a party, it would be nice to have the power to deliver. That said, I'm in no rush to put this together. Plus (single dad) I am on a budget.

I constantly check out craigslist (I'm in Washington, D.C.). I don't see a lot of PA equipment listed there, but stuff does post there from time to time. I just saw someone listed a single Peavey SP5 for $175 OBO. He claims it's only 3 months old. I saw that these go for $400 new.

My question for the experts of this forum:would this be a good buy for me at this stage (without any other equipment)? I don't have a powered mixer yet. I'm still waiting for the right one to come along at the right price. Could I use the single SP5 for low end along with a couple of 12's?

Thanks for anyone with an opinion.

• Members

First of all, thanks to the people who keep this forum going. I've been playing music for recreation for some time, but have little knowledge of the technical side of things. I just show up and ask where to plug in. Reading over the threads here has given me some hope!

I'm in the process of putting together a relatively small, yet versitile PA for my basement. This would be used by myself and my teenage kids as well. I have no immediate plans for taking this on the road anytime soon. But, if the occasion ever arrose where I was playing a small club or a party, it would be nice to have the power to deliver. That said, I'm in no rush to put this together. Plus (single dad) I am on a budget.

I constantly check out craigslist (I'm in Washington, D.C.). I don't see a lot of PA equipment listed there, but stuff does post there from time to time. I just saw someone listed a single Peavey SP5 for $175 OBO. He claims it's only 3 months old. I saw that these go for $400 new.

My question for the experts of this forum:would this be a good buy for me at this stage (without any other equipment)? I don't have a powered mixer yet. I'm still waiting for the right one to come along at the right price. Could I use the single SP5 for low end along with a couple of 12's?

Thanks for anyone with an opinion.

That SP5, if it's as reported, is a good deal; especially since it's a local pickup. Adding a couple 12's to it will hurt more than help. You want to keep speakers working in the same freq range the same to avoid phase problems.

Not trying to be a spammer...and I haven't listed these speakers (and probably won't) otherwise, but I have a pair of Yamaha Club IV 15" speakers that we use in our practice room that I'll sell for $300 for the pair; that's about half what I paid 6 years ago. I gigged with them for a year before I upgraded to Yorkville EF508's and moved these to the practice space. They are in good shape..a few road scuffs but not too bad.

I recently bought a pair of Yorkville 10" monitors that I'm gonna use live and I'll move my BullFrog 15's wedges to the practice room freeing up the Yamaha's.

Send me a PM if your interested...no sweat if your not.

P.S. I'm in Waldorf MD...not too far South.

• Members

A pair of S115IVs for $300 is a nice deal, especially avoiding shipping costs. They are a good all round MI grade speaker, usually recommended for those starting out that they will keep & use for a few years, like the slightly better & heavier Peavey SP2s.

The emx660 is no longer listed on www.yamaha.com. Is that the 6 mono(mic) channel, dual 300 watt per side stereo amped model?

boomerweps

Archived