Extension cord

• Members

While I've used "Wal-mart" cords in the past with limited problems, I moved to thicker black extension cords ordered from audioeast a while back. Those orange ones (and event the green ones from Home Depot) are pretty unsightly.

I have 2-3 50' versions of the standard black "E-Cords" and one 50' MOX cable. LOVE the MOX cable for setting up a backline in spaces with very few outlets. Check em out here:

http://www.audioeast.com/powercables.htm

• Members

What types of power extension cords do you guys use in a gig? Does a regular orange wal-mart type work, or is it better to get 14 or 12 ga. extension cords?

Orange will work but is not very professional. On a real stage you need to use black type SO cable, but a lot of weeekend warriors use SJ. I wouldn't use anything lighter than 14 ga and 12 ga is preferred depending on the load.

• Members

Orange will work but is not very professional. On a real stage you need to use black type SO cable, but a lot of weeekend warriors use SJ. I wouldn't use anything lighter than 14 ga and 12 ga is preferred depending on the load.

I know of at least 2 pro companies over here near philly that use 12 or even 14 gauge SJ for all thier stage power, even on tours. I use SJ for usally about 1 event a week with no problem ever, any failures always happen at the connectors. Its more about what it does in a fire/extreme overheating.

• Members

14ga is really the lightest gauge to use, 12 gauge is a better choice. For non-professional applications, Home Depot orange cable (of the correct gauge of course) is ok as long as you adequately protect it. Note that it will not meet code for professional stage use though.

• Members

Two reasons to avoid orange cheapo extensions.

1) Good "stage craft" calls for using black cables so they are less obvious on stage.

2. Orange cable tend to not lie flat on the stage and are usually hard to roll up well especially if they are cold.

The Electrical code calls for SO becuase yes, it is better for being tramped on. If you work in places where the local electrical or fire inspector visits prior to a show, if they are up on the code, they will want to see SO.

I was at a festival in Michigan a few years ago and they were using bundles of orange extension cords, BURIED to distribute power to the food vendors. Apparently that inspector was a little more lenient

• Members

I make my own power cords from 12ga wire. I do not trust those OTS extension cords. I actually had one of those cause a brownout during a gig - wasn't carrying that much power to hurt it. Took me two breaks to finally isolate the problem. That cord went in the trash and I never used OTS extension cords again.

• Members

So, I'm trying to get a feel for how things are hooked up in this live sound world. Sorry for the "newb"ish stuff, but I'm trying to get started on the right foot.

You guys run: wall-socket --> extension cord (if needed) --> power conditioner (do I really need this?) --> audio devices ???????????

• CMS Author

So, I'm trying to get a feel for how things are hooked up in this live sound world. Sorry for the "newb"ish stuff, but I'm trying to get started on the right foot.

You guys run: wall-socket --> extension cord (if needed) --> power conditioner (do I really need this?) --> audio devices ???????????

Yes.

No, to the conditioner, they really don't do anything useful, but the ones that have multiple outlets and lights serve that purpose in a rack.

The next step over is to use a quad box (four outlets) at the end of the extension cord (or built onto it) to gain more outlets where you need them.

The next step from there is to use a "distro" which is essentially a subpanel capable of handling 30-60 or more amps.

All depends how much current, and how far it has to travel.

Archived