A+H MixWiz 3 vs. Peavey FX16

• Members

That new Peavey FX16 mixer does look pretty cool -

http://peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116191/number/00512400/cat/310/begin/1/16FX%3F.cfm

I wonder if anyone has compared it in a head-to-head look against the Allen&Heath MixWiz3 16:2 -

http://www.allen-heath.com/US/DisplayProduct.asp?pview=49

...comparing the various factors: no. of mic. channels/stereo channels, aux sends, DSP, inputs/outputs, :blah: :blah: :blah: etc... ?? And of course, the main thing to be compared - sound quality! :idea:

One thing that stands out for me on the Peavey FX16 is that you can record directly onto a USB device w/mp3 compression. Seems like a handy thing, that feature... !! :thu:

• CMS Author

The FX16 is really a 12-channel mixer with groups and several 'feature' channels, so it does indeed compare a bit more directly with the 14:4:2, but the A&H lacks effects and the USB. However the A&H has 100mm faders, 4-band EQ with two sweepable mids, and they obviously have different routing features. Just look at the features of each, and the company's respective strengths and weaknesses, and compare them with your specific needs. I don't know that either is the better product, because they really are quite different.

• Members

It's what'll fit in the form-factor. Not a lot of room in 19" rackspace. They traded groups or channels. for effects.

Got it - soooo, on a related note... what is the benefit of having "Groups" ?? I understand how multiple Aux Sends can give you completely different monitor mixes for each monitor speaker if you wanted but what do Groups do for you?

• CMS Author

Got it - soooo, on a related note... what is the benefit of having "Groups" ?? I understand how multiple Aux Sends can give you completely different monitor mixes for each monitor speaker if you wanted but what do Groups do for you?

You can use groups to consolidate several channels under the control of one fader. Several keyboards, a drumkit, the backing vocalists, etc, could each have a group and their levels can be controlled with one finger. Or a group could have processing like compression or reverb on the group instead of individual channels, if that was appropriate.

• Members

When mixing bands or musicals I will use groups as a master fader for different aspects of the mix - all the vocals to group 1, all the instruments to group 2, maybe a group for all the drum mics. That way when mixing if the instruments start getting too loud I can back them all down off of 1 master fader. Obviously if a single guitar is getting too loud I back off the individual channel, but if the instrumental mix is pretty even it is nice to have one fader to control the total volume of whatever is grouped together.

• Members

Hmm... sounds like having Groups is a... "Good thing" as Martha Stewart would say :lol:

But I think having the convenience of built-in effects would outweigh it for me. :love:

Then again, the Peavey FX16 has both built-in effects AND Groups - but has less channels... :blah: :blah: :blah: - now I'm starting to get it. :rolleyes:

The the fact that the FX16 has two stereo channels is appealing to me as a keyboard player, although that would only be handy if I was right next to it and plugging straight in... otherwise, I'd be running XLR outs from the back of my amp (or just 1 XLR out if running in mono) - and then the stereo 1/4 in. inputs would be useless.

I'd like to see the back of this thing (the Peavey FX16) but the link for pic of "Enlarged rear" is not working, only the Enlarged front link is (click it and you get a picture of the mixer).

• Members

Got it - soooo, on a related note... what is the benefit of having "Groups" ??

I love this question. I have never understood the answer either. I don't know anyone who needs groups on a 16channel mixer. Craig your answer is exactly correct but who needs it on 16-ch. Shoot, you can grab more than half the faders with just one hand.

Are they really needed or is this a marketing thing like "British sound"? Look we have 16-channels AND 4-groups. Ours must be better.

• Members

I love this question. I have never understood the answer either. I don't know anyone who needs groups on a 16channel mixer. Craig your answer is exactly correct but who needs it on 16-ch. Shoot, you can grab more than half the faders with just one hand.

Are they really needed or is this a marketing thing like "British sound"? Look we have 16-channels
AND
4-groups. Ours must be better.

...aaaahh :idea: - so "Groups" are more handy on a 24, 36 or most definitely on a 48-channel mixer but you're saying they're not really necessary on a 16channel 'board? ;)

• CMS Author

Are they really needed or is this a marketing thing like "British sound"? Look we have 16-channels
AND
4-groups. Ours must be better.

If you're using it for faders, yeah, you can 'grab' a bunch at once. If they're all in a row. If you're really good at keeping the relative levels the same. On the same token you could also use post-fader auxes for monitors, *if* you can adjust the faders while adjusting teh aux sends. But do you really want to??

What about if you use the groups for processing?

What if you use them for a common mute?

There are uses for groups on small mixers. It's not unheard of, just depends on what you need or want.

Archived