Tell me your opinions on the Mackie CFX series??

• Members

i did sound for a two day festival over two locations.

one band was a band from germany, and they insisted on doing their own sound mix from stage. they gave me a single channel output from their big - like 20 channels or so CFX mixer for foh, and a single channel for monitors. i piped it through my system expecting the worst and was quite suprised - they had a great mix.

personally i think the CFX are crummy, but this band made it sound great. not good; great.

oddly enough the mixer was a 240V version, and they had to step it up from the 120 i supplied them.

i would say the CFX series rank a little below the VLZ series - which i own several and am not fond of any.

• Members

I use an older mackie cfx 16 in my studio for submixing, It does what I need, but when i use it live I kinda find it sounding sterile.. I think it was a bit overly priced for what it is, the new ones look a lot "cheaper", so if you wana go this route maybe try and find one of the first generation CfX Mixers. The things I do like are the inserts they provide on every channel for that class of mixer, I wish it had more aux send, but I guess having the subgroups are suppose to compensate... not to fond of the Effect processor though.

• Members

I just traded my CFX-12 for a Peavey 16FX, and suddenly my system came to life! Much better effects, pre's, double the Aux sends, and a cleaner, brighter final sound. Even my wife, who doesn't like me buying gear, said the PA sounds great now and it was worth the $$.

• Members

I purchased a used CFX12 a couple of months ago, and it has been working fine so far, for what I do with it. We play out 1 or 2 times a month and rehearse once a week. The effects aren't great but they do get the job done. I guess it is all in what you want to pay, and what are your needs. This cost me $175.00 and I feel it was worth it.

• Members

The CFX series has it's place, very average in quality and performance. Nothing so terribly wrong with it that you can't get the job done well (if you can't, perhaps there are other more significant issues) but it's also pretty limited.

I own the cfx-16 and AH is right on the money...for me it gets the job done and sounds good but does have its limitations...if I had to do it again...just to confuse the issue I probably would go with the A&H Mixwiz 16 though I haven't checked out the new peaveys..

Archived