Total Novice at Recording, but NEED to Start w/ some help please!

• Members

Keepin' it simple, I have no real recording knowledge; I know what goes into it but have never done it. Now what I'm looking for is something that I can either record guitar riffs and save them for the band, or completely record the entire band in our rehearsal room. So what should I be looking for, something like a Tascam or just a little M-Audio box. I just want very good sound quality, and if I need to get a mixer first to get all the sounds perfect, and then record from that, I'll take your advice, just need some overall help and how you would record a standard 4 peice band w/ one being a frontman. Thanks, I really hope I know what to get after this thread! Thanks everyone!

• Members

Hey Their!

Yes of course their isa recording forum, but Ill give ya sum advice since i run a 32 bit recording facility. When i first started out when i was 15. I would have used a mixer and yes.. buy an m audio sound card for yoru computer.. or maybe look at the behringer "f Control 24/96" thats a great buy honestly!

If you need to record a whole band, I would sugggest using just the two truck recorder such as the "F control" with a 4 bus mixer... THIS IS TOTALY A BUDGET DESIGN.. with the 4 bus mixer u can then assign what u want to go thru the bus system. IE. BUS 1 is Drums, BUS 2 is Guitars. Etc. etc If you have a bigger budget. buy a bigger sound card! the SAFIRE PRO. is a really nice buy for what it offers. I bought one for one of the studios i worked with... if u want sum software. errr. I could help u with that to demo it send me a message!

IF YOU DONT HAVE A COMPUTER TO RECORD WITh.. then forget everything I said above... and buy a digital multi track recorder.. u can buy a used one such as the VS-1880, which is made buy roland. BAsically their an audio card.. mixer..computer..and burner..all built into one! and if u have an even bigger budget an like the mobile multi trackers. then buy a biger model such as the VS-2480!

cioa

• Members

Keepin' it simple, I have no real recording knowledge; I know what goes into it but have never done it. Now what I'm looking for is something that I can either record guitar riffs and save them for the band, or completely record the entire band in our rehearsal room. So what should I be looking for, something like a Tascam or just a little M-Audio box. I just want very good sound quality, and if I need to get a mixer first to get all the sounds perfect, and then record from that, I'll take your advice, just need some overall help and how you would record a standard 4 peice band w/ one being a frontman. Thanks, I really hope I know what to get after this thread! Thanks everyone!

What's your budget?

There's 100's of choices..........

• Members

So you wanna record :confused: well first rule of thumb is room treatment without it your just wasting time and money :mad: second rule of thumb get it right at the source meaning decent gear and talent :thu: third rule of thumb know thou EQ especially your instruments that way you'll know how they set in the mix you don't want your chuga chuga guitar same frequency as kick and bass.:cool: The rest is learning basic techquie's like mic placement, mixing techniques, adding effects and so on and so on. As far as equipment theirs millions of opinions on what's best what not best :blah: that's really up to the you and what you think will work out for your needs. But knowledge is the best tool you'll have I would invest in a good recording book and research on techque i.e. like using a MS micing technique to record a acoustic guitar or XY stereo micing. Mixing with multiband comps. the more you learn about techniques better chances are of getting more for your money just my 2 cents worth good luck and peace out.:wave:

• Members

Whatever you do, don't get discourage:

I started with an AKAIDPS16 Standalone recorder, I don't have a treated room, I have nearfield monitors, I recorded 10 songs with it, it took time, I experimented and listen, and kept on doing it until I got a decent recording.

I know have a computer setup, I sold my sound card[EMU 1820M] I'm getting another one soon.

I recorded 9 songs with the EMU and Kristal Audio Engine which is a free program and lot of plug ins also free.

• Members

And to think we (as in us old farts) were successful making very high quality recordings for very little with a simple 4 or 8 track (analog) recorder and some skill/experience. The recorders were relatively cheap but the skill/experience wasn't.

Well recorders are still cheap even though their digital now a days. Can't speak for the skill/experience that's hands on and still isn't cheap.:)

• Members

I'm getting another one soon.

I recorded 9 songs with the EMU and Kristal Audio Engine which is a free program and lot of plug ins also free.

Without a treated room I could only imagine how much time it took to get your final mixes sounding right on other speaker systems besides your nearfields.:eek:

• Members

Without a treated room I could only imagine how much time it took to get your final mixes sounding right on other speaker systems besides your nearfields.
:eek:

That's the poor's way of getting done...The first one it took some time, the second one took less...:)

My point is, you have to start somewhere, there's no way that somebody with a low budget is going to be able to get everything at one time, but you have to start somewhere;)

• Members

That's why you gotta educate your self first then you know the basic first. I not saying you can't mix without a treated room but why waste time on trying to fix a mix that's compatible with other speaker systems, seems unnecessary time spent when you could use that same time learning about room ambience and mic placement. That's the main problem I see with most folks they ask what the best gear to use instead what the best method to use. Anyway I concur with Andy experience will always be the best lesson.

• Members

Anyway I concur with Andy experience will always be the best lesson.

I learned everything I know by getting in there and figuring out how to get {censored} on tape with whatever I had.

I recorded my band's original demo with a hacked up 4-channel line mixer from radio shack, 4 cheap cheap radio shack mics with non-detachable 1/4" cables, and a fisher-price tape recorder... yep. That demo had 4 songs on it and was called "Greatest Hits: Vol. 2"

Wanna listen? :D

• Members

I learned everything I know by getting in there and figuring out how to get {censored} on tape with whatever I had.

I recorded my band's original demo with a hacked up 4-channel line mixer from radio shack, 4 cheap cheap radio shack mics with non-detachable 1/4" cables, and a fisher-price tape recorder... yep. That demo had 4 songs on it and was called "Greatest Hits: Vol. 2"

Wanna listen?
:D

Really depends on what level of recording your after theirs your garage band demos level then your billion and one ITB level of recording then theirs the commercial successful level of recording of course every body wants their recording to sound as good as commercial grade for as cheap as possible. But without knowing every thing involved on making a commercial grade recording it's kind hard to reach the commercial level and a treated room is part of the process involved achieving commercial grade recordings. Which now a days it's easier to achieve that commercial level with all the new advances in technology that has made it more accessible for mainstream recording hobbyist. But IMO most folks ask what gear was used? instead of how did you use the gear you had. Just my out look about recording. :)

• Members

You should be able to buy any recorder and get good enough production..

to be honest.. I had used an 8 track multi track digital recorder, recording at a sample rate of 44.1 with hardly any processing, in a room with no significant acoustice treatment, or mic budget, and was capable of producing a composition to meet the standards for airtime across Canada.

I think I can agree and safely say that investing into some information regarding recording and engineer techniques has priority.

this helped me lots when i was in my beginner level http://www.studiobuddy.com/

• Members

Appreciate all the comments, even the honest truth ones, yes my goal is to gather all the info that goes into making a succesful and great sounding album, so if this is were I start, then so be it. But I learned alot and will build my knowledge from the ground up, I orderd a few books and DVD's on Recording and will hold off on getting anything, before I know more about this process, thank you for the sites and positive help! That's what I need!

Archived