Lightweight Pwr. Amps Besides QSC's PLX2?

• Members

The QSC PLX line (now it's the "PLX2") has pwr. amps that put out solid power and yet weigh only 13 lbs. or 21 lbs., depending on the model:

http://www.qsc.com/products/amps/plx2/

They are not cheap but you pay for the convenience of the lighter weight.

Do any other pwr. amp manufacturers have similar products (at similar price oints, I'm guessing)...? Peavey? Crown? Crest? Yorkville Sound? :confused:

• Members

Lots of folks make light weight power amps (Crest, Lab Gruppen, Camco, etc), but in the PLX's price range the only one I know of is Crown's XTi line. They look pretty nice on paper, but I hear they are (or were) having some issues with the on board processing (similar to the I-tech issues).

As you get into the bigger PLX2 amps $, you can get into a Crest Pro200, but the Crests's will probably be more $/watt. However, if you are looking for a larger amp, the Crest Pro200 series is significantly cheaper than the QSC Powerlights, Crown I-tech's, Camco, Lab Gruppen, etc.

• Members

The QSC PLX line (now it's the "PLX2") has pwr. amps that put out solid power and yet weigh only 13 lbs. or 21 lbs., depending on the model:

http://www.qsc.com/products/amps/plx2/

They are not cheap but you pay for the convenience of the lighter weight.

Do any other pwr. amp manufacturers have similar products (at similar price oints, I'm guessing)...? Peavey? Crown? Crest? Yorkville Sound?
:confused:

The Yamaha P5000S and the P7000S are about 26lbs each and are well respected. I have a P5000S and I love it. Lots of guys on this site have them. They are cheaper than QSC PLX amps and perform very well.

Carver used to make some lightweight amps, as did Soundtech and Stewart.

I have had Carvers and still have a Soundtech.

When amps are 40lbs or more, moving them gets old fast, especially when the gig is over.:thu:

• Members

Yamaha P seires are 25lbs. HPF OR LPF variable from 25 to 150hz per channel (i.e. use it as a crossover with variable points PER CHANNEL!!).

Despite what anyone says the ARE 2ohm stable: real world use here, not just on paper. I ran a P7000 for 2x JBL dual 18's off ch1, and 2x 4733's of ch 2. Worked great for the app.

p

Archived