How to tell when it is just not worth the effort...

• Members

Hey all, I had a very frustrating last week.

The most importand bits are the last 2 days.

You see my cousin had a 80's hair band .... as yoiu can guess, they didn't "make t big" as they had planned.

They disbanded, he got a real job wife and kids....

and now 25 years later, they STILL had there old martin rig sitting in moms basement (they are poster poeple for pack rats support group.).

I know the drivers are dead, but there are 6 base bins, 4 mids, and 2 tops.

they live about 700km (450 miles) away though the mountains.

But, as a company we dicide we can use this as low end c rig, for second rooms, and low end dj crap ect. so I talk to my aunt, that was going to throw it away anyway, and say, I will take it off her hands for 200 dollars.

well I go to all this hassle of booking a trailer to haul it, and arange with one of my partners to share driveing ect. but at the last min he dinks out on me. SO now I have to go alone.

Turns out that towing this trailer is way slower then I expected. and it eats gas like nothing. weight is a bit of an issue....

to ma ek a long story only a little bit longer, it takes me 10 hours to drive out there yesterday, then load up the gear, sleep and leave early today to get home. today was 11 hours to drive back. but along the way I stop to pick up a rock for my yard and bashed my finger really bad. Then I crashed the truck/trailer combo ripping off a 1/4 pannel, damageing the rented trailer, and my personal vehical (4 runner). figuer I did about 4500$ canadian damage.

all this for a burnt out old martin rig.

I find that I do this a lot in my live, I do a bunch of work, and effort, and the result, at best are disappointing.

I often find myself saying, - I would have been better off just staying at home alot these days.

So how do you guys figure out if something is worth your time or not? .. in life in general, .. not just "bussiness"???

Kev.

• Members

I often find myself saying, - I would have been better off just staying at home alot these days.

I am bad to let this attitude keep me at home. Go out, put in the effort, fail a lot, succeed some, learn from it all, do not be afraid to fail. Man, that is easy to say, how come it is so hard to do?:blah:

:)

• Members

So how do you guys figure out if something is worth your time or not? .. in life in general, .. not just "bussiness"???

Kev.

If it makes you happy, it is worth your time. If it makes someone else happy, it is often worth your time. If it's an old burnt out Martin rig 700 km away and you have to rent a trailer to go get it.....it is probably not worth your time. :D But you probably know that now. Sorry for your bad luck. Life isn't always fun. Live and learn. Drive once, cry once. Wait, that's not the saying... Oh well. Watch a Family guy or Simpsons episode or a good comedy. That usually helps me forget about work and the real world sometimes. Take care, Al :)

• Members

Well Kevin... being a card carrying member of the club... here's a couple of my life mottos:

1) Any situation that can be solved with money isn't really a problem.

2) Money and possessions are just that. Good stories, and our ability to pass them on to the young-uns are why we have the brains we were given... notice we entered this world with a huge cerebrum (ample RAM to store lots of good stories), but no pockets or safety deposit box.

Anyway... try to remember the good parts of the stories, or at least the major points that have value in the future. Put those items in the bank ('cause it's the ONLY thing you will take with you AND can share with future generations).

BTW: GOOD Sunday chatter.

Oh yea... and a couple days ago I dug a 5 gal. bucket of carrots out of my garden... split this latest spoils of the garden with my employees, our FedEx and UPS drivers, and everybody else who dropped in. Damn good carrots IISSM (If I say so myself)... those are the crispist, crunchiest, carrot tasting carrots I think any of us ever ate. Sure, they probably "cost" me 10X as much as just buying some in a store... but they sure are good, and it's something I can share with others who really appreciate um and it's something they can't get anywhere else, for any amount of money. Doing sound and playing music's the same for me... it's something I have a part in "making" and sharing... even if sometimes it doesn't make much (or any) economic sense.

• Members

You see my cousin had a 80's hair band .... as yoiu can guess, they didn't "make t big" as they had planned.

and now 25 years later, they STILL had there old martin rig sitting in moms basement (they are poster poeple for pack rats support group.).

But, as a company we dicide we can use this as low end c rig, for second rooms, and low end dj crap ect. so I talk to my aunt, that was going to throw it away anyway, and say, I will take it off her hands for 200 dollars.

well I go to all this hassle of booking a trailer to haul it, and arange with one of my partners to share driveing ect. but at the last min he dinks out on me. SO now I have to go alone.

Turns out that towing this trailer is way slower then I expected. and it eats gas like nothing. weight is a bit of an issue....

to ma ek a long story only a little bit longer, it takes me 10 hours to drive out there yesterday, then load up the gear, sleep and leave early today to get home. today was 11 hours to drive back. but along the way I stop to pick up a rock for my yard and bashed my finger really bad. Then I crashed the truck/trailer combo ripping off a 1/4 pannel, damageing the rented trailer, and my personal vehical (4 runner). figuer I did about 4500$ canadian damage.

I find that I do this a lot in my live, I do a bunch of work, and effort, and the result, at best are disappointing.

Kev.

Geez, it was only 450 miles each way. Not that far. I drove 3000 miles round trip one labor day weekend in a Ford Econoline with a car dolly behind both ways to get a Toyota Celica that I bought on the internet. that's quite a few miles in four days by one's self. I was kind of questioning whether I really wanted the car that bad by about mile 2000. But it was worth it. Of course, it helped that I didn't crash.

• Members

Sometimes it is hard to see how things will turn out.Today you are tired and disgusted.Something that you don't even know about today can turn up and make you feel completely different later.

One time I was talking to a minister whose church had just burned down and wondering why this had happened.I said sometimes it's the lions den.Life is what happens while you pursue your dreams.

Hell ! I sound just like a dadgum philosofizer.

GOOD LUCK !:thu:

• Members

Kev.

Let's see the other side of your efforts, You saved a dying rig from the tortures of the trash dumpster. You made your aunt happy because she's 200$ richer then she was before. You learned by experience you can't haul ass with a trailer hitched on the back of your vehicle and yea it tends to burn more gas. A important life lesson here is how to load a yard rock without bashing your fingers I know dam sure you'll never make that mistake again. Also another valuable life lesson learned hualin'ass with a loaded trailer may be hazardous to your health so yea I would say you learned quite a bit about is it worth the effort. Also now since you saved the vintage gear you'll have the vintage sound that folks are willing to pay boat loads for. Good luck on restoring and piece out.

• Members

Let's see the other side of your efforts, You saved a dying rig from the tortures of the trash dumpster. You made your aunt happy because she's 200$ richer then she was before. You learned by experience you can't haul ass with a trailer hitched on the back of your vehicle and yea it tends to burn more gas. A important life lesson here is how to load a yard rock without bashing your fingers I know dam sure you'll never make that mistake again. Also another valuable life lesson learned hualin'ass with a loaded trailer may be hazardous to your health so yea I would say you learned quite a bit about is it worth the effort. Also now since you saved the vintage gear you'll have the vintage sound that folks are willing to pay boat loads for. Good luck on restoring and piece out.

vintage.... hey that means it is worth lot sof money right?

I should take this rig to one fo the "antique road show" places, and maybe they will tell me it it worth 150,000$ :)

I really hear what everyone is saying, keep trying, keep your head up. I am in a postion in my life where a lot of people would like to be. I have a good job, my own bussiness, that is really starting to turn around. I have a house with about 150,000$ in equity built in to it, and a truck (that will be fixed good as new). So really I don't have much to bitch about for a guy that is 26 years old.

I have to learn:

1) to deal with stress more effectively.

2) don't sweet the small stuff.

Talk to you all soon folks.

• Members

Well you know what, I figure no matter what you do, murphy's law will get ya. Any crap that happens was going to happen sooner or later, at least now you have a few more speakers to toy with and a partner to bitch out, and to top it all off, you have a story to tell.

I like stories.

Archived