Crossover help

• Members

I have a behringer crossover stereo with seperate mono sub out. I have the Allen & Heath Mix Wiz3 and i am wanting to try Aux fed subs. In order to use this feature on the A&H, a recessed button activates Aux 6 and ties it onto the mono master fader, now thats all good but i would like to run FOH in stereo with mono subs the crossover only has 2 inputs and you can select high or low out so the seperate sub out on the crossover is no good to me?? or is it?..Anyways does this mean that i must run Foh in mono and use one side of the crossover for my tops and the other for the subs?? any help would be muchly appreciated.

• Members

Can't run in stereo w/ aux fed subs. Set in 2 way mode, must use 1 side tops, other side subs, and use the low out for subs (high unused) and high out for the tops (low unused).

You may not find any real advantage to aux fed subs though, it really depends on what you expect and how you mix.

• Members

Can't run in stereo w/ aux fed subs. Set in 2 way mode, must use 1 side tops, other side subs, and use the low out for subs (high unused) and high out for the tops (low unused).

You may not find any real advantage to aux fed subs though, it really depends on what you expect and how you mix.

Thanx...... Yeh i'm a bit wishy washy about the whole Aux sub thing, one other thing if i can pick ya brain one more time is that when i set the crossover up as per normal ( L&R masters out of desk into each side of crossover and then the mono sub out of the crossover to the subs) if i play with the freq on the top boxes it effects the sub also??? even though the crossover has its own sub out with freq sweep???? why is that??...Sorry if this is a stupid question by the way but it has me confused.

Thanx again

• Members

My opinion is otherwise. I think the average "rock" group will see a BIG improvement. Andy thinks it's too hard to hook up. Really all you are doing is sending a band limiter monitor mix to the subs only ... big deal. Try this ... http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/concepts/AUX_SUBs.pdf

So after you try it ... let us know how it works for you

• Members

Thanx...... Yeh i'm a bit wishy washy about the whole Aux sub thing, one other thing if i can pick ya brain one more time is that when i set the crossover up as per normal ( L&R masters out of desk into each side of crossover and then the mono sub out of the crossover to the subs) if i play with the freq on the top boxes it effects the sub also??? even though the crossover has its own sub out with freq sweep???? why is that??...Sorry if this is a stupid question by the way but it has me confused.

Thanx again

Which Behringer crossover? I used the CX2310 for a while. But I used the high out for the tops and the low out for the subs with the frequency button in the X1 mode. You may be lowering the top's frequency (high out on crossover) below the mono summed sub out chosen frequency. IF part of the playing with the tops' outputs included messing with the gains, the APPARENT crossover point will shift away from item's (like the tops) initial frquency selection. More gain on the tops shifts the apparent/heard crossover point LOWER from acoustic addition of the speaker sound sources.

Most that run Aux Fed Subs either do so in mono or use an extra crossover as a low pass filter. OR they use powered speakers. OR they spend a lot on a digital speaker processor that has at least 3 inputs.

Boomerweps

• Members

Jerry and I just started doing the Aux Fed Subs, and we are loving it. We have a DBX 260 for system processing with an Allen & Heath GL3300 32/8 console which has 8 auxes, 5 for monitor feeds (one post fader) 2 for effects sends and now one for the Aux Fed Subs.

So we pink the room as normal, then after eq'ing the system we disconnect the mono sub out from the DBX 260 and instead run the feed to the subs through an Ashley analog crossover fed from an aux output. Easy to set up and configure, and I have never had such a powerful thump in the kick. We dial the Kick, Floor Tom, Bass, Keys and the break music (I-Pod) into the aux, and let me tell you, the difference is noticable.

I look forward to doing this with my main band (6 piece Jimmy Buffett tribute band) so I can really assess the difference, but I already don't think I will ever want to go back to a non-aux fed subs system.

• CMS Author

I have a behringer crossover stereo with seperate mono sub out. I have the Allen & Heath Mix Wiz3 and i am wanting to try Aux fed subs. In order to use this feature on the A&H, a recessed button activates Aux 6 and ties it onto the mono master fader, now thats all good but i would like to run FOH in stereo with mono subs the crossover only has 2 inputs and you can select high or low out so the seperate sub out on the crossover is no good to me?? or is it?..Anyways does this mean that i must run Foh in mono and use one side of the crossover for my tops and the other for the subs?? any help would be muchly appreciated.

As you note, you've got three outputs from the mixer (L, R, and Aux 6 for the sub) but only two crossover inputs. The separate sub output isn't a help as it's using the two L & R inputs, not that 3rd sub input.

Get another crossover to use just for the sub. This will allow you to run aux fed subs with a stereo mix.

• Members

As you note, you've got three outputs from the mixer (L, R, and Aux 6 for the sub) but only two crossover inputs. The separate sub output isn't a help as it's using the two L & R inputs, not that 3rd sub input.

Get another crossover to use just for the sub. This will allow you to run aux fed subs with a stereo mix.

Thanx for the tip Craig. Is it possable to use the xover for the top boxes and from my Aux to patch directly into the subs?, I mean if your only sending stuff with low bass freq to the subs via an aux send ( kik, bass, floor tom) would i really need the extra xover??? according to JBL my JBL JRX powered subs LPF is set at 100hz? Here are the specs for my subs.......

# System Type: Powered, 18" compact subwoofer

# Frequency Range (-10 dB):1 38 Hz - 300 Hz

# Frequency Response (

• Members

Is it possable to use the xover for the top boxes and from my Aux to patch directly into the subs? ... according to JBL my JBL JRX powered subs LPF is set at 100hz?

Yes ... the sub has the required crossover already built in. It would also be a good idea to cut off the lows to the top boxes ... somewhere around 80 Hz or so. If you don't have a low cut filter on your crossover then use the one on your amp and set it as close to 80 Hz as you can (this is not crictical). Also continue to use the hP filters on your mixer for vocals and anything that doesn't have low bass.

Archived