Difference in mixers

• Members

DJ mixers will often feature beat matching (with a BPM counter), a crossfader and occasionally some silly sound effects. They will also have more RCA inputs than Pro mixers which are mostly 1/4'' and XLR. As for headroom, it does vary from mixer to mixer (depending on the DB output capability) but also how the user sets up the gains/levels on the mixer and amplifier and of course EQing (smiley EQ) or too much EQ which will rob you of headroom as well. Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

I see........so am I good for now with the one I have?

If you're charging people for your services and don't want to be embarassed when someone checks out your equipment, I'd get something a little bigger, better, with a minumum 3 band EQ and with sliders instead of knobs. Maybe keep the 802 as a back-up? It's just such a tiny little thing, it looks like it could fit in your pocket. Even something cheap from Gemini or American DJ would probably look better. Depends what you're looking for and want for features. And if sound quality/reliability is important to you. I'm not a scratch/vinyl DJ. I play CDs/Minidiscs mostly for weddings/anniversaries and occasionnal teen dances/graduations etc... I have a Yamaha MG12 and PV10 mixer and a smaller (kinda like your 802) Radio Shack mixer I keep in the van all the time in case something went wrong with the Yamaha or Peavey. Neither have the crossfader but I usually fade in/out by having one hand on each slider - one going down, one going up. Works well for me. Al

• Members

I see. I have no plans to do any kind of that scratching/DJ'ing. I just play music for parties and and small clubs. So the regular type of mixer is fine for me?

Also, would I notice an increase in sound quality if I switch to a higher quality mixer (peavey, yamaha)?

• Members

As far as the actual sound goes, I am not sure you would notice much difference. Now if you wanted to spend $ 1,000 bucks or more on a mixer, you might start to notice "some" improvement. But anything else at a near by price point is going to be similiar in sound quality.

If the 802 is doing what you want then it is working, and it certainly is an affordable alternative.

I don't know what you are using for amps and speakers, but I would say that getting the best speakers you can get is the way to get the best sounding system. If your mixer is working, better speakers is the place to spend your money.

Archived