Wireless microphone...cheap?

• Members

I cannot comment on that product. I will say this:

Wireless and Cheap are mutually exclusive words.

Right - they are words that should not be used in the same sentence by a professional/semi-pro musician. :rolleyes:

Spend the money, get something decent - move on. The Audio-Technica 3000 series is often recommended here:

http://www.audioeast.com/atwireless.htm

...not the very top o' the line but one notch below it, I think. :cool:

• Members

I'd be careful with E-bay. If it's too good to be true, than it's usually not true. In regular intervals there is a Bose wireless microphone popping up there at a really good price. The problem is, we don't make a wireless microphone. We shut down stores with products that has "fallen off the truck" on a regular basis. There are also a fair amount of far-east fakes out there.

I have to admit the guy with the microphone has some guts: slapping our name on a product that doesn't even resemble anyting we make is fairly bold.

• Members

The company actually produces a digital wireless mic that looks intriguing.

DWS2400 M Vocal-Set

Digital Receiver 2400R

* 16-channel Dual-Band receiver

* intelligent frequency-scan software

* UHF True-Diversity

* Digital Code Squelch

* 2,4Ghz Patch-Antenna

* LCD display for frequency signal strength and audio status

* Battery status LED (from transmitter)

* Balanced XLR & unbal. Jack output

* output level adjustable

* connectors for external Antennas or Splitter

* Robust metal 9,5" housing

Dynamics unlimited

Analog Wireless Systems always require a compander system to reduce the signal to noise ratio to an useable level, meaning the signal is being compressed in the transmitter and on the other side decompressed in the receiver.

This method is required in every analog wireless System. Unfortunately this limits the range of dynamic, in particular for guitarists and bass players. With the digital wireless transmission the analog technology will become redundant. The signal gets converted through a high profile Delta Sigma 20bit AD-Converter in the transmitter into digital data.

Those data packages are sent to the receiver to be converted back into an analog signal. This technology alows a natural, full dynamic range. The data transmission avoids also the frequency modulation of an analog system. The result is a christal clear sound without hissing.

Transmission from 20-22KHz

The frequency range of a DWS2400 System means CD-Quality. The sampling rate of 44.1KHz gives an unbelivable range of 20Hz to 22KHz! Analog systems only manage a range of 50Hz up to 15KHz due to the method of construction.

Gigahertz

The DWS 2400 works on a 2.4GHz basis, basically the upper UHF range, allowing an enormous amount of broadband data transmission. This method requires a special antenna technique, which we implemented in the 2400 R receiver, the so called PATCH - Antenna. This is mounted on top of the receiver and can be flipped up easily.

The DWS2400 System works on the principle of true diversity technology, meaning two separate receiver channels work independently controlled by intelligent electronics to always process the best incoming signal makeing the system as reliable as possible.

The known latency ( delay ) of digital signal processing is an outstanding 2 ms and therefore not noticable for the user.

DWS 2400 M/MC

For Vocal Artists with high expectations to sound performance. The ergonomic shaped handheld microphone, made out of rugid metal and integrated display is available either with a dynamic hypercardoid beyerdynamic TG-X 58 capsule or with a high quality beyerdynamic condenser capsule.

Some of their other gear looks decent too, with a initial quick glimpse.

Will have to do some additional research on the company and product line.

• Members

I learned something interesting in class the other day. Do you know why the 2.5 GHz band is nearly universally available world wide? Microwaves! Before all the fancy encoding schemes, spread spectrum and frequency hopping and the like, no-one wanted to use a radio on a frequency where people owned several hundred watt transmitters. Anyway.... just thought it was an interesting bit of knowledge.

• Members

Where are you located. If in Europe, then maybe it makes sense. If you are in the U.S. or Japan then you may run into issues.

The 2.4GHz band is full of stuff, low powered drvices can get lost in the mud.

Europe...but it's actually simple i guess..for that low price...i'm not expecting too much.

• Members

I can buy this mic-set for approx. 100 euro's:

http://www.dbtechnologies.com/mod_produkte.cfm?pid=8&pgid=10&pugid=26&psugid=32

Which seems to be cheaper than other brands/products...

Anyone knows its limitations, quality?

With how much distance does this work?

2.4GHz??????? HUH??

This model, (WM220 H Handheld), is VHF!!!:eek:

• Members

I use some low-end Shure VHF products, so the I offer the following comments that may apply to other brands.

VHF range is nominally 100m, but signal quality degrades quite markedly. Don't expect great results at more than 50m unless you have a completely clear line-of-sight. That's right - bodies and other objects can mess up the VHF reception. Metal things - music stands, chairs etc, will really block it.

If you go for a system like this, keep the receiver/aerials as high as you can. I improved things greatly by swapping the little twigs for longer antennae. And keep the mic batteries fresh - the RF degrades before the audio in my experience.

Low-end systems are fixed frequency, and not generally user-adjustable, so you need to be sure that you're the only one using that frequency locally. Realistically, you won't find that out until your first really important live performance!

On the subject of audio, I suspect the low cost will be down to the actual mic capsule used. My system has an SM58 head, but dB's cheapest is a no-name. I note that some systems from dB Technologies use Beyer mic heads, so check these out against reviews of those mics.

Hope this helps. Remember, in this life you always get what you pay for, usually a little less.

• Members

Seems like the brand is not familiar in the Americas, or do i understand something wrong? In Europe is most known for its speakers.

You understand correctly. The db equipment is not well known here in the USA. The speakers look pretty good, are they as good as they look?

Archived