correct vertical placement of SRX 722

• Members

i did FOH yesterday through a set of SRX 722 tops. i think they were sitting too low in relation to myself and the audience. the horns were roughly just over my head and i am 5'8" - so the horns were roughly six feet up.

using my ears i think the HF response was slightly off (ok, way off). didnt sound as open as i like, more forced sounding and similar to as if i low passed at 10k or so on the mix.

normally i sit in front of T252+ and those are on top of MTL-1X - the horns are a lot higher than six feet (8? 9?)- this sounds normal to me, a lot of pleasant HF and just a touch too much at around 6k.

i dont really know how to get the SRX any higher, they sit on two stacked 718's. i guess i could build a box of some sort to put between the subs and tops.

am i way off here? i would think the 722 would sound better than the T252+ but so far they do not. it seems like the HF shoot down into the first few rows and then die.

• Members

box is doable. biamp - no. subs and tops - 2 way xover crossed over at around 100hz.

white 4203 as main eq, was mostly flat with some pulled at 600 or so.

up close the speakers souded fine. further back in the room the HF died.

also noteworthy, the floor slopes UP towards the back of the room. the horns in relation to myself at FOH were LOWER than my head.

• CMS Author

box is doable. biamp - no. subs and tops - 2 way xover crossed over at around 100hz.

white 4203 as main eq, was mostly flat with some pulled at 600 or so.

up close the speakers souded fine. further back in the room the HF died.

also noteworthy, the floor slopes UP towards the back of the room. the horns in relation to myself at FOH were LOWER than my head.

That matters. If the room was full of people at that time, it's understandable that a lot of HF will be absorbed by bodies. The speakers would be more effective if they were raised a bit and angled down toward the audience.

Archived