How can they even consider this to have 24 channels?

• Members

I know, it's a Behringer... but still.

2442FX_big.jpg

Seriously, the channel strip only even goes up to 16 at the top where it's labeled. Am I missing something here?

Unfortunately our singer has decided he's buying a board tomorrow, as we need one before Thursday... and has decided he can't spend more than $350-$400... for 16 channels and 4 aux sends minimum. Guess that means he's walking out with a Behringer, despite my efforts to push for that MixWiz or even one of the Peavey boards. *sigh*

• Members

I know, it's a Behringer... but still.

Seriously, the channel strip only even goes up to 16 at the top where it's labeled. Am I missing something here?

Unfortunately our singer has decided he's buying a board tomorrow, as we need one before Thursday... and has decided he can't spend more than $350-$400... for 16 channels and 4 aux sends minimum. Guess that means he's walking out with a Behringer, despite my efforts to push for that MixWiz or even one of the Peavey boards. *sigh*

Latin for this situation is: "Caveat emptor"

It's my impression that generally only the tip of the iceberg is apparent to the casual observer.

• Members
Well, you have two RCA inputs, so there's 17 & 18. Six more to go....

Maybe the BNC panel jack (board light fixture device) is considered another channel. Maybe there's a stereo headphone jack? Volia... 2 more channels. The on board effects probably has a enough positions to account for the remaining channel selections available to the user.

• Members

Latin for this situation is: "Caveat emptor"

It's my impression that generally only the tip of the iceberg is apparent to the casual observer.

When it comes to matters such as this I prefer the phrase "Discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt"!

He's aware of the problems I've had and of the reputation of the brand, but he's also aware that he doesn't want to be the one spending all the money on a mixer when he doesn't own anything else to do with the PA, and he doesn't have a lot to spend on it. Since they all waited 'till the last minute (read: two days before gigs start up again) for this, there's no going used and no time to repair the old one.

I've had pretty bad experiences with many Behringer Pro Audio products... but maybe this one will be the "cygnus inter anates". ;)

• Members

New math

ahh... my youthful colleague... new math was the ways and means to teach math without getting into a tangible explaination of what the numbers actually meant, but the numbers consistantly add up to the same quantity... as I remember. The example offered is a prime example of "new age newspeak"... where the convention is twisted at will and applied in whatever manner the spin doctors deem sellable. Hell... call it a "56"... or "200,000,000"... or a googleplex.

Remember my story about Chiquita bananas?

I still count a dozen mic cords as 12 ea. And my 30ft. mic cables will have 30ft. of cable showing between the connectors (MOL intended to reach 30ft. from point A to point B). This is how it will be with my products atleast until I'm pronounced "room temperature".

• Members

what a load.

Funny... that's exactly the look my cat had today... after 3 solid days of doing nothing but eating and sleeping... and finally heading to his favorite corner of the garden... that look he had on his face right before he went to covering something up... and covering it up, and covering it up.

• Members

I think you will be pleased if he does buy the 2442 I bought mine and put it in our road rack it's working just fine! We replaced a Mackie that was giving us trouble and for the money spent it's been an outstanding board, some here say there only trouble but so far just great!:thu:

• Members

Funny... that's exactly the look my cat had today... after 3 solid days of doing nothing but eating and sleeping... and finally heading to his favorite corner of the garden... that look he had on his face right before he went to covering something up... and covering it up, and covering it up.

Hey!!! my cat does the same thing!!

• Members

For a little bit more, he can get the Peavey 16FX board with some really usable FX (saving $ on FX units). Granted 14 mic inputs beacause the upper two channels have dual stereo line in/mic capabilities.

IF he MUST cheap out AND NEEDS 16 mono mic channels, he's better off picking up the Behringer SL2442FX. That's 16 mic channels, 4 stereo line channels, built-in FX. About $450. Not as small, not as cute, but lots of channels.

Actually your (& his) best bet is to BORROW a mixer of the right size for this gig. Buying a mixer FAST & CHEAP is a bad thing. Reminds me of the old saw: You want it FAST, CHEAP, or GOOD? Pick any TWO. Then you(he) have time to look for a decent used one in his price range. I swear by my Peavey RQ2314. RQ prefix series are no longer made A used RQ2318 (16 mic channels) can be had for $300-350 range and is well worth it.

Boomerweps

• Members

For a little bit more, he can get the Peavey 16FX board with some really usable FX (saving $ on FX units). Granted 14 mic inputs beacause the upper two channels have dual stereo line in/mic capabilities.

I bought the 24FX for my band last year. It's served us well thus far. Our sound guy really likes it.

Archived