Smallest sub (15" speaker cab) active or passive.

• Members
If you want small take a look at the new JBL VRX915s. Saw these babies at Namm and they are small but I bet they sound good.

http://jblpro.com/products/portablesound/vrx/vrx915S.html[/

QUOTE]

As much as i would love the thought of a big sound in a small box,I have yet to hear it,even tho a 2x10 speaker box (20 inch) vs. a 18 speaker box, the bigger 18 allways sound deeper to me, even tho Ive been told that with two 10s you have more (20vs.18)

• Members

As much as i would love the thought of a big sound in a small box,I have yet to hear it,even tho a 2x10 speaker box (20 inch) vs. a 18 speaker box, the bigger 18 allways sound deeper to me, even tho Ive been told that with two 10s you have more (20vs.18)

Actually, I believe in calculating the surface area, you must multiply 10X10 two times for the double ten and one time 18X18 for the 18''. Therefore, two 10'' drivers = 200 total surface area while one 18'' driver = 324. Of course, I could be wrong, but I believe this is how it is measured. Al

• Members

Actually, I believe in calculating the surface area, you must multiply 10X10 two times for the double ten and one time 18X18 for the 18''. Therefore, two 10'' drivers = 200 total surface area while one 18'' driver = 324. Of course, I could be wrong, but I believe this is how it is measured. Al

Ouch Al your making my head hurt with all those caculations! you prob. right I just go by sound is all

• Members

If you want small take a look at the new JBL VRX915s. Saw these babies at Namm and they are small but I bet they sound good.

We just bought a VRX setup with the 18" subs (One of the first few shipped - they came accompanied with a JBL Rep). Ya the boxes are relativly small. The best part is that they're really light and sound absolutly killer (we got to demo them at a pretty high volume). They're in this little lounge area that is a funky duo stage earlier in the day but turns into thumpin Disco at night.

• Members

Al,

You ARE wrong. Assuming a flat surface area, to get area you take radius squared times pi.

5x5x3.14 x 2 (for the two 10"s) = 157 sq. in.

9x9x3.14 = 254.34 sq. in. for the single 18"

7.5x7.5x3.14 = 176.6 sq. in. for a single 15"

Of course this does not take into acoount the total movement (excursion) of the speaker cone or piston action to account for how much actual air gets moved by the radiating surface.

Boomerweps

Archived