Looking for new gear... Need some recommendations.

• Members

Ok, here's the deal. I'm 27, I started running analog FOH about a year and a half ago and I am slowly teaching myself along the way. Right now I am running 14 channels of straight feeds (instrument > pre-amp > snake > board) for a "bluegrass" band out of Rock Hill, SC. No effects, no compression, nothing. Just me, the board, the mains, two monitor mixes (due to their lack of money at the moment), and the band.

Anyhow, right now I am working with an old school Yamaha MX400. To be honest, I love the thing. It's comfortable for me to work on and I know it like the back of my hand. Problem is that recently I am losing channels and finding issues nightly. I have no: record out, headphone out, a few missing channels, missing aux 1, etc. I am using two of my remaining three aux sends as monitor mixes (once again, due to the fact that this 7 piece band only has two monitors run off of a crown stereo amp). And, lastly, let's face it....this thing is a pain in the ass to lug around for bar gigs and small venue shows.

So, point is that I am looking for a new board. I like the idea of running something roughly around the 20 channel mark because, as I stated, we're already filling 14 inputs and I like having the extra headroom to add in guests or to expand a little in the future (recording, etc.) I would love something with a built in USB interface (similar to the Behringer, Alesis, Peavey, or Soudcraft) but I am looking to keep it relatively inexpensive. (around the 600 dollar mark). I originally liked everything that Behringer states it can do with the Eurodesk series but have heard the horror stories and have been warned about the noise problems with these boards. Been looking at the Peavey PV20-USB board but don't know too much about it and haven't found too many reviews so far.

So, any info or suggestions for a new board would be appreciated. For the record, I am also running Wharfedale LA-15Bs for my mains and custom made wedges as my monitors (600w Crown split across those two wedges). Running without a sub right now as money is not permitting but probably going to pick up a single Mackie SWA1801z if things keep going my way. Will be replacing our monitors and reworking the mix based on what we buy. Once again, thanks in advance.

Kindly,

John

P.S. Like I said before, I am teaching myself as I go. So, you will probably be seeing a good bit of me around here begging for advice and answers. Thanks again...

• Members

Stay away from the B.............r stuff! A friend of mine has one of the yamaha 01 digital mixer copies from B..............r (I only do that because I cant spell it:p ) anyway that board went down last spring and spent the next 6 months in several different repair shops and these guy's do a monthly gig. Well my Mixwiz fell into service and held up fine. Anyway if you cant get a mixwiz then I would think the Peavey would be the next best choice, infact I like the looks and the features of the Peavey alot. If it sounds good I just might think about getting one. Ive been thinking about a 24 channel board soon and have considered the GL2400, Mackie Onyx 24 and the Peavey.

• Members

Thanks for the info drumstix. Any more from anyone else would be appreciated.

yea, really stay away form teh "(B)ig (B)ad B"!

the mix wiz is usally what is recomended - it is build VERY well, .. it has a wonderfull feature set, a very nice eq, and 6 aux outs.

For a group that is not going to need to go past teh 16 inputs it offers, it is a mixer you will not grow tired of , or need to upgrade.

you see the next set up from a mix wiz, you need to go to 10 times the price. for a big 32-40 channel mixer with 8 outs ect....

anyway , allen and heath also makes the GL series, they are nice as well, but more expensive.

• Members

I am currently rebuilding an MX-400-24 for a client and it's a really nice board. The problem is that the switches (all of them unfortunately) have started to fail intermittantly and they are about 15 years old. Since it's built with individual PCB's, it's not a really big deal (for a well equipped shop) and it's going to cost him about $600 for the repair. When it's complete, it will compete pretty closely with the GL2400 except for the second mid eq band and additional aux. Overall it's a very quiet, functional piece.

If yours is in good cosmetic and mechanical shape, it may be worth putting money into a complete rebuild (again, from a trusted shop) as you might get a better board than you could find for the same or more money.

And... there's nothing wrong with keeping things simple. Old school made a lot of old timers a good living. Some of the worlds best shows were mixed on equipment like that.

• Members

I have noly used on a few times, and I CERTAINLY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR BOARD, but these RQ series boards from Peavey look to me to show good value and good features if something like this might interest you. They are discontinued i believe, so you would have to buy one used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-RQ-2318-16ch-MIXER-mix-18ch-Like-new-used_W0QQitemZ170083737253QQihZ007QQcategoryZ41474QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• CMS Author

I have noly used on a few times, and I CERTAINLY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR BOARD, but these RQ series boards from Peavey look to me to show good value and good features if something like this might interest you. They are discontinued i believe, so you would have to buy one used.\n

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-RQ-2318-16ch-MIXER-mix-18ch-Like-new-used_W0QQitemZ170083737253QQihZ007QQcategoryZ41474QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've used this board for several years now. It's been a real bargain, but I'm not sure it would be good for the OP as it's 16 channels and only has 4 aux's, so there's no room for expansion. It's also been discontinued at least 2 years now, so it would be nearly impossible to find even NOS.

I too am looking at the GL-2400 as the logical upgrade path. I'd keep the RQ- for bar gigs and such, as it's compact and easy to transport. A large board like the GL- would be a liability in many small venues.

• Members

Thanks everyone. Aged, I understand what you're saying about the MX-400. I love mine and will probably keep it around and do some work on it. However, my main issue at the moment is more of the nuisance factor it presents. For a seven piece band (eight including myself), it isn't the easiest thing to pack in the van (and one extra vehicle) to play gigs that require any travelling. Right now we're carrying 2 mandolins (1 acoustic/1 electric), 2 banjos (1 acoustic/1 electric w/ pedal board), fiddle, full size stand up bass and electric bass w/ amp, 2 acoustic guitars/2 electrics w/ small stage amps, 5 piece kit with some cymbals, 2 Wharfedale mains, two monitors, a side fill, small monitor amp rack w/ eq, mx-400 with seperate pre-amps and eq, 20 channel snake, and luggage.

It's getting tight and I honestly don't mind being the one to offer to lighten my load since my board is roughly the size of a Buick's hood and weighs a good bit. Pretty much just looking for a smaller, lighter alternative that's going to be just as effective. Looking to add in rack components to start cleaning up the sound sometime in the near future tooo. Still teaching myself a good bit about the pieces that I am buying so relative simplicity definitely factors in to a degree.

Thanks again. Don't necessarily like the 2 Aux sends on the Peavey, so I am definitely looking at other options as well.

• Members

if you could find an older 16 04 mackie there nice .i wish i still had mine!

i have 2 behringer mixers.there not bad i have had minor problems with mine but a friend was able to fix them.if your on a tight budget they will get the job done.the older ones sound better than the new ones.but i just ordered an allen and heath gl2400 32.after i get it i will probably hate behringer with all my hart.

i have played around on the peavy fx and i like it alot if room ,and budget is tight it has built in effects less {censored} to carry.

• Members

but i just ordered an allen and heath gl2400 32.after i get it i will probably hate behringer with all my hart.

i have played around on the peavy fx and i like it alot if room ,and budget is tight it has built in effects less {censored} to carry.

We just got a GL2400-24 and I still like my lil' Behr UB802, at least for DJ work ;>) Of course, I still have a Peavey RQ2314 for in the middle gigs.

For the OP, the new Peavey 24FX looks like it might fit the bill for you. Not too big, pretty good internal FX & processing upgradable by USB/memory sticks. Without looking it up again, I think it's only 20 real mic channels with 2 double duty stereo line in/mic channels. The built-in upgradable FX will save a little weight & space in the FOH rack. It's just under $1000 at MF. You can download the manual at www.peavey.com to thoroughly check out it's specs and layout/size/weight.

boomerweps

• Members

Seperate preamps for the MX-400? Those would be the FIRST thing I shove out of the van. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the MX-400 preamps... in fact it's a tremendously well designed mic pre (though there is nothing more over-rated than the sound of a mic pre IMO) in that it has excellent CMMR due to the cascoded dual differnetial input stage. It's the "gold standard" in the sub-10k range.

• Members

Oh yeah Gigman, saw that Bromberg has a new album out. Heard a track off of it the other night and it sounded great. Still has that great voice but it's got some age on it now. Not necessarily a bad thing. Hartford is definitely my #1 pick though. Love the guy. Much bigger fan of the early stuff, but you just can't beat Aereo-plain. Good stuff.

By the way everyone, I might be pulling the trigger on the MX200/16. Found one in pretty much perfect shape. Basically the kid brother to my MX400/24. Get to keep my 4 aux for expansion and also get to cut down my size and weight by almost half while still leaving two xlr inputs for guest vocals or an instrument direct line. Will probably keep the MX400 because the price is definitely right on this other board. Thanks for all the suggestions though. Now I need to look at rack mount effects units to replace the built in effects that I won't be getting with the MX200.

• Members

Nothing, we are running straight right now. The hope was to add in effects (at least some basic reverb) with a new board. I have some weak vocals that I need to thicken up a bit so the reverb is really the only thing I am set on at the moment. Meant that the rack unit would replace the effects that would have come with the other boards I was looking at buying.

Archived