Peavey Pr10/12 or Carvin LM12A/LM15A Al is confused...

• Members

I'm going to check out the powered Peavey PR10 and 12 cabs tommorow on my lunch break if they've received them at my local Peavey dealer. I've put my order for the Carvin LM15A on hold until at least tommorow. It is a great price (500$ US shipped - 350 watts RMS powered 15'' - 39lbs), but I'm scared of it breaking down on me and me having to ship it back to the states for service. I'm looking at the PR10Ps mostly because of the small size - which is often convenient but I'm wondering if they have any bass output or if I'll always have to use my sub with them. Can they deliver decent bass by themselves for smaller gatherings - say 100 people or less at a 50th wedding anniversary? How low do they go? There are no specs on the Peavey site as to freq. response etc... Will I get much more bass by getting the PR12s? Decisions, decisions. I'm not sure if I want a big bad speaker which can hold it's own without subs, or some cute portable 10s that sound pretty impressive for their size and are all I'll have to carry for those really small gatherings or just to bring to camp to play some tunes outside. Anyone using the powered PRs and have opinions? Powered Carvin speaker users? I wasn't particularly impressed with the response I got to my emails and am afraid of how problems would be resolved with a Carvin product... Anyway, I already have my main system (NX55Ps + LS700P). I'm buying these speakers to replace my passive Wharfedale cabs + Mackie amp and basically just for the fun of buying something new.... :cool: Thanks for your input... Al

• Members

The specs for the PR's are 54Hz to 21kHz. These are -10 dB specs measured in half space. The difference is that the PR12 is 2 dB louder in total output.

So you're not really asking me if our 10" can keep up with A 15" ... Geez, I hope not:)

• Members

The specs for the PR's are 54Hz to 21kHz. These are -10 dB specs measured in half space. The difference is that the PR12 is 2 dB louder in total output.

So you're not really asking me if our 10" can keep up with A 15" ... Geez, I hope not:)

:D Of course not. Just curious about how low those 10s can go. I went to my Peavey dealer today hoping to listen to the PR10s and 12s. All he had in stock was older and newer (neo loaded) passive PR cabs.... He said he'd have the powered ones in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of patience when I'm ready to buy something new. So, for now, I'll be giving the new Carvin LM15A cabs a chance. My Peavey dealer was really firm on price too. All his prices were retail and written NET on them. He said the prices were already low... although all the internet prices I have seen are usually marked down 15-25% off retail but anyways...I had the chance to listen to an older pair of PR15Ps that looked a little damaged (store demos/rentals I guess). Overall, my opinion is that they are good sounding cabs for general DJ/KJ lower SPL applications. They seem voiced for pre-recorded music, with lots of bass and good highs but a slightly de-emphasized midrange which would lead me to believe most people playing pre-recorded music would not need much EQ to get a good sound out of them. The first thing I noticed was that they produce a fair amount of noise even with nothing plugged into them. Once music is playing, it is no longer noticeable of course but I was still kind of surprised. (I almost have to put my ear on my NX55Ps to hear any noise) The PR15Ps can get fairly loud but will start to limit before you want to put your hands over your ears - both because they are tuned to be ear friendly and because they are powered at 200 watts RMS and have a max SPL of 120db. Overall, I would have to say they sound very good at their price point and would be great for lower SPL DJ/Karaoke and certain live sound applications. For live music, depending on the band of course, they may need some EQ to get vocals across over a loud backline. For solo/acoustic performers, they would be a better choice given their limited SPL. Hard to say, since I only heard them for a few minutes at near max volume with Alan Jackson, which was unfortunately the only CD in the store.... If ever I get to rent them/use them for a gig I will give a more fair and accurate review. These were just my general first impressions. In my basement studio or at a gig, where I control all the elements, my review would be more meaningful. If anything, the PR15s had a nice, full sound for a 500$ powered speaker. Al

• Members

I'm not sure if I want a big bad speaker which can hold it's own without subs, or some cute portable 10s that sound pretty impressive for their size and are all I'll have to carry for those really small gatherings or just to bring to camp to play some tunes outside.

Duuuude - playing outside at camp is where you'd actually want your big, bad Yorkville system (or something of equivalent power), no? "Cute, portable 10's..." are not going to cut it out in the open air. :o:lol:

• Members

Duuuude - playing outside at camp is where you'd actually want your big, bad Yorkville system (or something of equivalent power), no? "Cute, portable 10's..." are not going to cut it out in the open air.
:o:lol:

Since I sold my Yorkville Elite Microns (now E10s) a few years ago, I miss having super compact speakers that make people say holy crap those little things are loud. When we go to camp, we usually go for a week or two and well, you know how women need lots of space for all their luggage + toys for the kids etc... well, that leaves very little space for Al's sound equipment. Last year I had to bring a system because I had a wedding to do on Manitoulin Island (which was amazing - right by the lake on a beautiful August day - in a huge tent. The music sounded so good and you could hear the echo on the lake at night) but this year it's just to play outside and by the fire etc... I like compact speakers that make lots of noise I guess. Anyway, I've confirmed my order for the LM15A which I can't wait to hear. For the price, they look great. Built-in 3 band EQ with sweepable mids, neodymium Woofer and horn, only 39lbs for a 350 watt RMS powered 15''+ horn cab! Anyway, I will write a review once I receive it. If I like it, I will order another one of course....I think another reason I want these is because I like to be different. I've seen a few people using the PRs here in Sudbury but I've never actually seen one Carvin product. Not sure what I'm getting into, but I'm curious and I want to know if these cabs sound as good as they look. Al

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=LM15A&CID=LM

• Members

I follow you, Al - but you're saying you only ordered one of these Carvin jobbers...?
:confused::eek:
What would you do w/just one and how can you get an accurate sense of how a pair of 'em would sound - without it's mate...
:rolleyes:

My brother owes me some $$$ because of a birthday present he ordered for me (from my wife + family) on Ebay that never came in. So he's putting this speaker on his Mastercard. I will be ordering the second one if I'm impressed. If not, it's going back to Carvin and I have to pay the shipping. I will be able to determine very quickly if this speaker sounds good and what it is capable of by spending a few minutes in my studio with it and by putting some familiar tunes through it - even without it's mate. It doesn't take long to determine if a speaker sounds good or like crap. I'll let you all know for sure. :thu: I know many people aren't fond of Carvin. Then again, you have some that love their products. I want to give them a fair chance, and I have to admit I love the look of these cabs... Al

• Members

Okay, I bought a pair of yorky nx55p's about 4 months ago and absolutely love them:thu: . I wanted to buy another pair but couldn't afford it so I bought a pair of peavey pr12p's from MF which were backordered for about 2 months in which I finally got them about a month ago:eek: . I didn't get to fully A/B them in stereo yet, but I did a quick side by side comparison in mono with my ipod.

Of course the yorky killed the peavey but being that the yorky was double the price of the peavey, it was not $350 better than the peavey. I'd say maybe $150 better IMHO. The yorky basically sounded like a studio speaker with deep lows and crystal clear highs where the peavey sounded a little squashed with some muddiness in the bass with less highs and a bit harsh. The bass on the peavey did impress me playing some old school rap stuff. If you have never heard the yorkville nx55p's and bought the peavey pr12p's, you'd be perfectly happy. I'd like to say it's a great value but since it's brand new and not road tested, I can't vouge for that yet.

I'll do more testing as soon as I have the time and report back.

Archived