Large Diaphragm Thoughts....

• Members

It kind of depends on what you are trying to accomplish. For percussion, I generally prefer smaller diaphram condensers like a 451 or maybe an SM-81 as they pick up a bit more sparkle from the toys. For congas, an ATM-25, 421, 604, are medium diaphram dynamics that are pretty suitable but also a 57 or something along those lines can somtimes give a little more agressive sound that works better in a mix. A am not a fan of condensers on congas live though... just a little too much bleed from other sources, especially low frequency sources such as bass or kick.

• Members

It kind of depends on what you are trying to accomplish. For percussion, I generally prefer smaller diaphram condensers like a 451 or maybe an SM-81 as they pick up a bit more sparkle from the toys. For congas, an ATM-25, 421, 604, are medium diaphram dynamics that are pretty suitable but also a 57 or something along those lines can somtimes give a little more agressive sound that works better in a mix. A am not a fan of condensers on congas live though... just a little too much bleed from other sources, especially low frequency sources such as bass or kick.

What is your recommendation when all you have to work with is one mic?:wave:

• Members

What would be the benefit of a large diaphram microphone?

wouldn't a hypercardoid mic with a reduced proximity effect be good for this situation? An EV N/D967 perhaps?

I am looking for something that will pick up everything with super clarity,perhaps

the Earthworks Hi Def Mics?

• Members

You are looking at conflicting reqiurements for any mic. Ideally, you want the closer-micing for the congas, a medium diaphram type works quite well, but for the more distant higher freq. stuff you want to get the clarity and open-ness and avoid picking up too much timbale and cymbols. You have defined a situation without a solution that has mutually exclusive elemets.

The Timbale and cymbols will be everywhere, including where you do not want it by the nature of the instrument itself. This means that balancing the elemts out will require some directionality and possibly some adjustment of playing style. The congas need amplification but if you try to get the kind of level out of the congas distance miced, you will have way too much timbale etc. The smaller diaphram condenser like the SM-81 is directional enough to give you at least a fighting chance for the small percussion items, but you will need to pay attention to positioning to minimize the bleed from the timbale etc. This will make it impractical for use with the conga for most more typical setups.

I think you may be making it too hard with not much chance for even mediocre success limiting yourself to 1 mic, unless you have really low standards of how the percussion balances out in a mix.

Just my opinion.

• Members

You are looking at conflicting reqiurements for any mic. Ideally, you want the closer-micing for the congas, a medium diaphram type works quite well, but for the more distant higher freq. stuff you want to get the clarity and open-ness and avoid picking up too much timbale and cymbols. You have defined a situation without a solution that has mutually exclusive elemets.

The Timbale and cymbols will be everywhere, including where you do not want it by the nature of the instrument itself. This means that balancing the elemts out will require some directionality and possibly some adjustment of playing style. The congas need amplification but if you try to get the kind of level out of the congas distance miced, you will have way too much timbale etc. The smaller diaphram condenser like the SM-81 is directional enough to give you at least a fighting chance for the small percussion items, but you will need to pay attention to positioning to minimize the bleed from the timbale etc. This will make it impractical for use with the conga for most more typical setups.

I think you may be making it too hard with not much chance for even mediocre success limiting yourself to 1 mic, unless you have really low standards of how the percussion balances out in a mix.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for your help agedhorse,the reason i was thinking large diaphragm is because i saw Karl Perazzo(Santana) w/two overhead,but it's all clear to me now,thanx again!:) :)

• Members

You may not have seen everything going on mic-wize in the percussion section. I'll bet there were some small diaphram condensers w/ the toys, the overheads may have been augmented with smaller (maybe even clip-mounts) elsewhere. were the bottom sides of the congas miced as well? It's been years since I've done anything with the Santana folks, but I'll bet there was more going on than you saw.

Archived