Separate PA for drums

• Members

OK, I'm just a part timer.

We're going to play in a club with an inadequate PA system. They have two good 15" speakers with horns. Otherwise I'm going to bring in the amps and mixer. It's a small club. Previously we only mic'd the vocals. The drummer asked to have his kit mic'd.

Here's what I was thinking of doing. I have some Yamaha 15s (S115V) with horns and was thinking of micing the drums through those through a separate system. I'm thinking that the alternative would be to rent some 18s and and use a crossover and mix everything but the guitar and bass through the one mixer.

My thinking was that bringing in a small mixer and graphic EQ for just the drums and using them with the Yamaha S115Vs would be adequate.

I'd be using a Crown C2000 bridged into the Yamahas. That'd give me 1950 watts mono?

Any suggestions?

• Members

I think years ago, that was how loive sound was done... each instrument had it's own (sometimes huge) collections of amplifiers, and they went at it.

There is no reason that what you are talking about can't work, but it just makes the whole problem of getting things leveled out harder and harder.

• Members

I'd be using a Crown C2000 bridged into the Yamahas. That'd give me 1950 watts mono?

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what a C2000 is (perhaps you mean CE?), but please don't bridge a 1950W @ 4 ohm amp into these poor Yammie Club cabs. They are rated at 250W rms.

• Members

I'm not sure what a C2000 is (perhaps you mean CE?), but please don't bridge a 1950W @ 4 ohm amp into these poor Yammie Club cabs. They are rated at 250W rms.

Absolutely... I'll bet the club won't ask you back until you repair them either.

Run the amp in stereo, 1 cabinet per channel.

• Members

I can't imagine this working out very well. Why mic drums in a small club, unless you've got a decent set of subs to handle the kick?

That's actually what I'm wondering, whether to rent the 18" subs or will the Yamaha 15"s be enough. I really want that bass drum to be heard. For some reason this club just swallows the sound of the bass drum.

• CMS Author

That's actually what I'm wondering, whether to rent the 18" subs or will the Yamaha 15"s be enough. I really want that bass drum to be heard. For some reason this club just swallows the sound of the bass drum.

Rent a crossover, amp and subs, and take a line from the PA's main out to run your subs.

Archived