In Ear Monitors For Vocals

• Members

Hi,

I play in a band and as of now we are playing small venues where it's all do it your self type stuff where another band will bring a mixer and monitors. The thing is music wise we hear everyone perfectly but vocally not that much. We are not playing extremely loud or anything, we are just playing at a level high enough for our drum player to hear.

- My Question is: For IN EAR MONITORS can you just use it for vocals and non instruments if you chose? How would you do this?

- 2nd Question: If my band all had In Ear MONITORS and we miced all of our equipment and vocals we can hear each other right? Thanks

- Patrick

• Members

where02190: So for question 1 is that a no?

And for #2 just micing our amps and drums will work right. The reason I asked the 2nd question is because we have neighbors and we want to be able to practice and hr of the night and we were hoping that with IN EARS we could do this, correct?

- Patrick

• Members

where02190: So for question 1 is that a no?

And for #2 just micing our amps and drums will work right. The reason I asked the 2nd question is because we have neighbors and we want to be able to practice and hr of the night and we were hoping that with IN EARS we could do this, correct?

- Patrick

In order to reduce the sound problem for the neighbors, you will have to run the instruments direct to the mixer, (maybe through a preamp first, but not through any amps or speakers ) and you will need to get the drummer to play really really quiet... better by far would be to get the drummer some electronic drums.

If you are still using acoustic drums, and guitar amps or what have you, YOU will still be able to hear yourselves better using IEMs, (probably), but the neighbors will still be able to hear you just as well as they ever did. The only way for the neighbors to not be affected is to go into "silent mode"... and even then of course, they will still be hearing whatever is going on with the vocals.

Does this make sense?

• Members

Rbts: Somewhat. Ok, I'm new to IN EARS but I thought if you mic up the speaker cabs, guitar, bass, drums, vocals, etc. and if everyone had IN EARS and have everything isolated and at a low enough volume just to where the mics could pick it up it would work. Yes or No?

This is the IN EARS I'm looking at if that helps. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-P2TRE2H2-PSM-200-Wireless-Personal-Monitor-System?sku=270237

- Patrick

• Members

The PSM 200 are generally well regarded, although the 400 are even better regarded. When I used IEMs, we ran with no amps, and electronic drums, all silent, except what was through the board, and used wired IEMs, sending separate monitor mixes to each guy from the mixer.

I am sorry, but personally, I do not see what you are thinking of as working very well... but the question is in a large way about how quietly can the drummer play. I am scared the guitars will not sound good turned down "that low"... either, and the odds of all this happening so quietly that it makes late night practice acceptable to the neighbors, I am not sure of at all. In your case, I do not see much advantage to IEMs... it is good to practice turned down anyhow, but if it is loud enough to be miced for some IEMs it is proably loud enough to be heard... might as well just practice, I am afraid. If what you are trying to do is to be able to practice late at night, without be a burden on others nearby, I don't really see that happening, with acoustic drums, and guitar amps.

• Members

Or, you could just agree to practice during daylight hours, when people would likely be less offended. Had a loud band practicing two doors down from where I live, and really, there was nothing I hated worse then finally getting home from work, finally dealing with whatever circumstances required dealing with in the family, finally get really done with my day, just in time to relax maybe and have an hour or so of peace in my life and bing bang boom, the band starts up.

Archived