guitar amp as monitor

• Members

I'm aware that this is a bad idea, but the funds available for equipment purchase are pratically nil, so I have to work with what I have....

I spoke to a mate of mine who first recommended against it, and then suggested something along the lines of aux send to attenuator to xlr/jack convertor. However, I have a feeling there's a component of that system that I've forgotton - can anyone help me out?

• Members

In certain situations a guitar amp could work as a monitor. Depends what amp and how loud you need it (Marshall 8x12, Pignose, Twin, etc). Of course the cleaner the better. Also, try to put the right level input into the amp, as to not blow something in the amp's pre section. I would try very low signal level 1st.

• Members

Thanks. I think my question is what kit do I need to bring the signal down from the level of a mixer output to a lever that a guitar amp can handle?

As far as the amp goes, it's only a 120W Trace Elliot guitar amp, but then the music we're playing is acoustic stuff, so volume of the monitors shouldn't be too much of a problem.

• Members

Thanks. I think my question is what kit do I need to bring the signal down from the level of a mixer output to a lever that a guitar amp can handle?

As far as the amp goes, it's only a 120W Trace Elliot guitar amp, but then the music we're playing is acoustic stuff, so volume of the monitors shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The mixer outputs a line level signal, and the level of that signal should be adjustable. It should plug right in.

• Members

Keep in mind, it will be quite feedback-prone, possibly to the point of uselessness.

Guitar amps are designed for anything but flat reponse. Even run clean with eq flat, they may have 15 db or greater peaks and valleys in the response curve. That's why guitarists find "tone" so characteristic to a given guitar amp.

Archived