Which is best?.and why?

• Members

Depends what music you're playing, what venues you're plaing, how prominent you want the kick drum in the mix, and everything else about the speaker besides the power rating.

+1....correct....it's all relative really....500 Watts isn't going to cut it for a gig with 1000+ people...small bars etc it will more than likely do just fine unless your band enjoys playing at super loud levels.....

• Members

most places arn't too big tbh.

could you recomment any other pa's?

so far weve mostly went with active systems but would look into passive speakers with seperate power amps.

most active systems are limited to around 2k.

going passive, could i build up a more powerful pa?

sorry for so many questions but i know very little.

• Members
ive only seen subs of up to about 800watts max.

what about your tops?

do you need to hook up multiple power amps to get all that power?

I should have explained further. I send the full 6000 watts to the subs only when using all 8 of them, mostly for outdoor stuff. When running four total, the power amps are running @4 ohms stereo and putting out about 950 watts to each sub. The top cabs are dual 12" 2-way designs (2/side indoors usually) getting about 450 watts each.

• Members

most active systems are limited to around 2k.

going passive, could i build up a more powerful pa?

sorry for so many questions but i know very little.

You can use suitable multiples of powered speaker to increase the overall SPL. Same applies for both passive and active speakers.

The power means nothing without the efficiency, sensitivity and/or maximum SPL before clipping.

Archived