Please suggest a mixer, thanks.

• Members

My band has 5 vocalists.

For the lead vocalist I want to route the vocals through a Lexicon MPX 100. (1/4 inch mono in, 1/4 stereo out)

For the other 4 background vocals, I want to pump the "sum" of their vocals into a voice processor to add post fx processing. (1/4 mono in, 1/4 stereo out)

I need 5 xlr inputs on the mixer, each with their own eq settings, etc.

What mixer would you recommend? Thanks!

• Members

Whatever you choose, you will want 2 post-fader aux buses (for effects) and probably at least a couple of pre-fader aux buses for monitors. You could get by with 1 post-fader aux (for the B/U vox) if worst came to worst IF you can insert the MPX-100 on the lead vocal channel (and then use the mix control on the MPX to balance the lead vox w/ lead vox effects).

• Members

I forgot to mention... this mix will be sent to the house pa system as one stereo channel.

I'm thinking it may be easier to mix the lead vocals in one mixer and the 4 background vocals in another and then sending these as 2 stereo channels to the house pa.

• Members

I guess I'm more of a noob on this then I realized, thanks for the comments so far. The thing is, relying on house pa/sound men for vocals has not worked. We want to do all the vox mixing/fx and then just send the mix to the house pa.

I was thinking we could have 2 small mixers, one for the lead, one for the background vox. And then just send these to the house pa, this way the lead could still have his own levels in the monitor. The background vox mix could also be adjusted in the monitors. This is also probably the cheapest way to do it. Yah, I could purchase a much better mixer with multiple sends/returns/monitor outs, etc, but that's not a $$ option right now.

• Members

you know sometimes for a smaller gig I go out with my yorkville mp8dx its a powered head ,a small powered box mixer it has 400 watts for mains and 200 for mon. thats it! only 1 mon send,Ive used this and my elites 408, and when I go out front and listen sometimes im blow away how good it sound and it is just a plug in a play set up ,got to love that

• Members

My band has 5 vocalists.

For the lead vocalist I want to route the vocals through a Lexicon MPX 100. (1/4 inch mono in, 1/4 stereo out)

For the other 4 background vocals, I want to pump the "sum" of their vocals into a voice processor to add post fx processing. (1/4 mono in, 1/4 stereo out)

I need 5 xlr inputs on the mixer, each with their own eq settings, etc.

What mixer would you recommend? Thanks!

Sounds like to me you need a mixer with a sub-bus/group fader. I use the mixwiz 14:4:2 which may be overkill for some folks but would solve the problem by grouping your background vocals group 1-2 and the lead can go direct to the mains or another group if you want. For the fx processing I would just use the group insert to take care of that.

• Members

well most mixers could accomplish this so long as it has a tleast two auxilarys..

if u use for example channel 1 for main vox, and sent him thru auxillary 1, and then back in two another channel on the board, just make sure you only use channel 1 fo the auxilary send. or u can use the insert.

and the other four vocals can be sent through another auxilary. or bus group.

behringer, mackie, Allen and Heath, Yamaha, and Peavey all have setups to accomadate this.

my Mackie CFX, and Yorkville Powermax, Behringer mx3282A And my GL2200 all can provide this so finding a board wont be a problem. I guess its pricng, and ease of setup. Id suggest getting a small mackie, since they are lower cost and provide inserts on every channel. the cfx series has a 4 bus system, so expansion later on isnt a problem. the vlz has line outs one every channel if i can remember correctly? but i dont think they have a bus system, or main EQ like the cfx, i guess I will have to look!

• Members

I was doing sound for a church a couple of years ago, we had a nice sanctuary, professionally designed sound system with large-format board and flying speakers, theis four-peice gospel group was coming to sing for a 'concert' with their tracks on a CD, I thought, this should be easy.... it was easier to work than I had thought, they insisted on bringing in their own PA, so I let them... I advised them that our rig was permanent and built-in and they wouldn't have to carry anything.... I watched as they sweated all their gear in, and accepted their L and R line outs into the 48 channel beast in front of me.... they sounded horrible.. The mix was crap, the tracks sounded like something I could do at home with my casio and my computer, and the overall quality of the rig was zilch. they could have had an easy night with a very attentivesound guy, ready to bow to their every monitoring whim, but no, they thought it would be better to do it their way...

No morals or lessons here, do what you want, they guy behind the board probably doesn't know jack...........

Archived