Best 15" inexpensive Sub Speaker

• Members

I've got a couple of old subwoofers that are going to need new speakers yesterday. I am looking for some 'inexpensive' speakers as these will be used primaraly as backups for smaller gigs. I will spend extra for reliability. These probably won't be pushing more than 400 watts ea. Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive speaker for these.

• Members

I all depends on the properties of the cabinet as to which driver (speaker) is best suited. If you could list some more details, we have a couple folks here who have access to software designed to calculate that sort of thing.

I also know, first hand, that Mark at www.audiopile.net sells inexpensive drivers that work quite well in a variety of cabinets.

• Members

What may be a great speaker in one box may not perform well in another box. You can't just dump a Ford carb on a Chevy.

Try to look up the Thiel specs for your existing drivers and match the to new ones. Or redesign the tuning of your boxes to match the new drivers.

• Members

How deep and wide are the vents? With a vent the width of the box and about 3 inches wide and 5inches deep the 3015LF from Eminence would give a nice response down to around 40hz according to WinISD. You can find them for around $120 apiece.

From what I understand the vents would act longer because they use the sides and the bottom of the box for part of the vent. How much longer I have not a clue. The best thing might be to find some way to experiment with the vent length to get the best sound. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Les

Archived