Which 9v rechargeable batteries for iem's?

• Members

None that I've ever used. Battery life is short enough with alkaline cells that I've not chanced the even shorter life of NiCad rechargeables. I doubt they'd make it through a typical 4-5 hour gig, but I'd love to hear of other's favorable experience.

You are aware NiMh rechargeables are available Craig?

• Members

Which 9v Rechargeable batteries would folks recommend using for iem receivers?

For 3 hour use a night - none I've used.

It's been about 2 years since I last looked, but at that point, I'd purchased the highest capacity 9V's available and they still petered out about 3 songs from the end of the night in my Shure IEM's (PSM400). Similar results for 9V mics too.

AA's and AAA's are a different story. We've had good luck with microphones and guitar/bass wireless with them.

There's is already one company making a lithium ion rechargeable 9V. My guess is these will be arriving in the mainstream market shortly and then 9V rechargeables will be ready for prime time. Here's a couple links for you:

Lithium ION - they specifically call out wireless microphones in the ad. Note: requires their lithium recharger. You're looking at $50 for one battery and the charger.

higher capacity NIMH than I've used in the past so these may be worth a try, especially if you already have a charger

• Members

Ed, which charger do you use...which IEM's, and how long are these cells lasting in use? That's a really good price for NiMH.

I got my charger from same place. Charges 9V in about 14 hours.

I Have both Shure PSM200 and Carvin IEM. Batteries tend to last 3-6 hours. I change every 2 sets.

Ed

• CMS Author

I got my charger from same place. Charges 9V in about 14 hours.

I Have both Shure PSM200 and Carvin IEM. Batteries tend to last 3-6 hours. I change every 2 sets.

Ed

That's about what I've experienced in a PSM200...about 3 hours, maybe 4 for a 'coppertop' alkaline, so they won't make it through a typical gig without either changing out or worrying about it. But the eventual cost saving would make them well worth the effort of remembering to bug the guys for a changeout at 12:30am:D

• Members

That's about what I've experienced in a PSM200...about 3 hours, maybe 4 for a 'coppertop' alkaline, so they won't make it through a typical gig without either changing out or worrying about it. But the eventual cost saving would make them well worth the effort of remembering to bug the guys for a changeout at 12:30am:D

I think the 300 Mah ones might fare OK. One of the factors is that you have to use it within a few days of charging. Even sitting around a week or so will affect the overall capacity a bit. Rechargeables don't hold a full charge that long. The good news is, unless a high profile gig, it's generally not that big a deal to change it at the end of the night if it does peter out. Certainly less critical than using in a wirless microphone.

• Members

The average 9V Alkaline battery is about 600mAh, so with a NiCad or NiMH at 250-300mAh, you will get approximately 1/2 the life. If a standard alkaline is barely adequate, the rechargables will not be.

I read earlier today that a 9V alkaline is 540 mAh. the New Lithium rechargeables are 500 mAh. They also claim "Will actually out perform a standard 9 volt alkaline battery in High Drain Applications."

Duracel Procells give almost 2 shows (6 hours) in Shure PSM400's.

Archived