NADY floor wedges - not bad!

• Members

I bought a couple of Nady 12" floor monitors 18 months ago. At first they sounded BAD compared to my others.

But I stayed with them in my rehearsal space. They've broken in and, lo and behold, they now sound pretty good! They still aren't to be confused with really good speakers - but I'm now convinced that for budget applications, they are a useful choice.

• Members

Are we talking about the PFW12?

I have 4.

I got them in 2 sets of 2.

The sets were separated by about a year.

The first set is better than the second set, better internal wiring.

A few years ago a horn on the second set blew. I never bothered to fix it until a few weeks ago. I don

• Members

Troll?

I think it's pretty obvious that Nady is the most bottom of the barrell you can get. They have crap efficiency and response (over 10dB of swing, yikes!). I suggest everyone download the manual though.... it's pretty funny. It congradulates you on buying one of "the finest speakers on the market". To be honest this being on the first page here is embarassing.

• CMS Author

I bought a couple of Nady 12" floor monitors 18 months ago. At first they sounded BAD compared to my others.

But I stayed with them in my rehearsal space. They've broken in and, lo and behold, they now sound pretty good! They still aren't to be confused with really good speakers - but I'm now convinced that for budget applications, they are a useful choice.

Sorry, but I have to raise the Bull{censored} flag on this one. Speakers don't "break in" to the point that total crap sounds pretty good.

• Members

Sorry, but I have to raise the Bull{censored} flag on this one. Speakers don't "break in" to the point that total crap sounds pretty good.

I lent the 12 from the cabinet that had a blown tweeter to a friend. He threw it in the car of his trunk with a ported box. He thrashed the hell out of the woofer.

The woofer I lent him sounds like the one that didn

• Members

Sorry, but I have to raise the Bull{censored} flag on this one. Speakers don't "break in" to the point that total crap sounds pretty good

Maybe "breaking in" in this case means pounding the crap out of it until the piezo tweeter dies, which might actually make it sound better.

I believe they should be called "Nasty Monitors"

• Members

Putting out the PFW12 was a brilliant business move on Nady's part. They sell a ton of those things with a nice little profit margin. After all, buying bottom-of-the-barrel woofers and cheap piezo tweeters in bulk has to get the costs per item down to nothing. Throw them in a cheap MDF box and sell 'em for a hundred bucks a piece.

Preying on uninformed buyers seems to be a goldmine. I fully admit that if this was seven or eight years ago I probably would've dropped $200 on a pair of these, thinking I was getting a smokin' deal. Why buy a pair of crusty old used EV's when I could get BRAND NEW monitors for the same price? Fast forward to the future, and I'm glad I picked up some crusty old EV FM-1202 wedges for $100/each.

You always gotta do your homework before making a purchase.

• Members

If you must....

To answer other questions, I have Yamahas. Like I said, they are not in the same league. But for a budget application, the Nadys will work - if the pair I have are any indication.

When I bought them I was going to return them straight away because I disliked them very much. Sounded shrill and brittle. But someone else said "don't be so fast" and that they would improve with time. So I put one in, between the Yamahas, and let it break in.

Over time, the need to drop the treble freqs on the EQ to account for them has lessened. Their sound has become smoother and fuller. And it's not a matter of "getting used to" them. I have a variety of players come sit in, and generally the sound of the studio gets positive comment.

Maybe my ears are deceiving me. But I doubt it.

• Members

If you must....

To answer other questions, I have Yamahas. Like I said, they are not in the same league. But for a budget application, the Nadys will work - if the pair I have are any indication.

When I bought them I was going to return them straight away because I disliked them very much. Sounded shrill and brittle. But someone else said "don't be so fast" and that they would improve with time. So I put one in, between the Yamahas, and let it break in.

Over time, the need to drop the treble freqs on the EQ to account for them has lessened. Their sound has become
smoother
and fuller. And it's not a matter of "getting used to" them. I have a variety of players come sit in, and generally the sound of the studio gets positive comment.

Maybe my ears are deceiving me. But I doubt it.

Have you checked the piezo?

It may have burnt out, creating what may be perceived as a "smoother" sound. Otherwise, I can think of no reason they would markedly improve with time.

• Members

I gotta call BS on this too. If the need to not do as much EQ as before is happening then you were over EQ'ing in the 1st place. When I walk into a gig and see a wedge of that non-quality sitting in front of me I know its gonna be a long night. Many times I've brought one of my own wedges in just to not listen to that one...

• Members

I gotta call BS on this too. If the need to not do as much EQ as before is happening then you were over EQ'ing in the 1st place. When I walk into a gig and see a wedge of that non-quality sitting in front of me I know its gonna be a long night. Many times I've brought one of my own wedges in just to not listen to that one...

• Members

Ahhh, assumptions. You've made a few of them in this post in your eagerness to rage at the cheap lol.

I gotta call BS on this too. 1. If the need to not do as much EQ as before is happening then you were over EQ'ing in the 1st place. 2. When I walk into a gig and see a wedge of that non-quality sitting in front of me I know its gonna be a long night. Many times I've brought one of my own wedges in just to not listen to that one...

1. My studio EQs are essentially FLAT, with only a couple notches to eliminate feedback. Is that too much EQ'ing for you?

2. I said nothing about using them on a gig. I specified budget applications, by which I'm thinking stuff like an average garage band looking to hear itself at rehearsal. See, unlike many folks here I do remember back in the day - being so limited in funds that no monitors could be purchased because they all cost hundreds of dollars, and therefore not clearly hearing our attempts to sing Black Sabbath and Lynyrd Skynyrd. And the cheap monitors available then were truly junk - and were still a few hundred bucks.

I'll say again: The Nadys are not in the same league as my Yamahas. I never pretended they were. But having broken them in for over a year I do find they don't suck.

• Members

I specified
budget applications
... I do remember back in the day - being so limited in funds that no monitors could be purchased because they all cost hundreds of dollars... And the cheap monitors available then were truly junk - and were still a few hundred bucks.

I agree, budget gear has come a long way. Neo-loaded Peavey PR-10s are $140 street.

On the other hand, I suspect the bottom-of-the-barrel is quite a bit lower and a lot more lucrative than in years gone by. I'll put forth the multitudes of Chinese particle board and piezo-loaded cabs available as proof. I put those Nady's firmly in that category.

• Members

Who's to say that a subtraction can't be an improvement? :D

Have you checked the piezo?

It may have burnt out, creating what may be perceived as a "smoother" sound. Otherwise, I can think of no reason they would markedly improve with time.

You may be correct. I'll check it out.

Now that I think on it, there might have been a somewhat sudden change in the sound a few months ago. But I didn't particularly notice, I just made a slight change by bringing a couple of high-freq EQ notches back up toward flat.

The only reason I posted about the Nadys is because in getting a new DVD recorder, I went back through each component in the system. And it struck me as I was monitoring in the Nady wedge "hey, this sounds much better than it did when I got it".

• Members

Ahhh,
ass
umptions. You've made a few of them in this post in your eagerness to
rage at the cheap
lol.

And now another quote:

"This man believes Wednesday what he believed Monday...regardless of what happened Tuesday. Events may change but this man's beliefs never will."

Archived