Best Peavey Active Speaker?

• Members

How about the new SP5.5? The powered version of the SP5, the SP5.5 features a Black Widow woofer and 1000 watts of peak power. I imagine the Impulse is excellent as well, and a little lighter. I just love the look of the new SP series and the fact that they have the horn angled slightly downwards so the highs actually hit the people in the crowd instead of going over their heads. Al

• Members

How about the new SP5.5? The powered version of the SP5, the SP5.5 features a Black Widow woofer and 1000 watts of peak power.

That wouldn't exactly be a powered version of the SP5, then, I guess. SP5's have always been Scorpion-loaded.

• Members

That wouldn't exactly be a powered version of the SP5, then, I guess. SP5's have always been Scorpion-loaded.

That's why I indicated that it featured a BW. Maybe we can say it's an improved and powered version of the SP5? I like the looks of the new SP line. The cabinets look loud and aggressive. I have seen the new SP2 in person and was surprised how big and deep this box actually is. I guess it must improve low frequency response. Al

• Members

D'oh! I forgot about that one ... that would be it.

Thanks Al!

My pleasure. :thu: If ever my dealer has a pair in stock, man would I would love to rent a pair and try them out. Even without subs, I'm sure they can produce some pretty impressive sounding SPL. :love: Al

• Members

Thanks guys, the SP5.5 looks great but heavy:cry:

69lbs for a wooden powered cabinet capable of 130DBs peak is not that bad. The plastic equivalent (Impulse 1015P) is only 4 lbs lighter. Get those crank stands.... The SP5.5s, with BW woofers (4'' voice coil), big RX22 horn and all that power on board, look seriously capable of big sound from a single box. Al

• Members

69lbs for a wooden powered cabinet capable of 130DBs peak is not that bad. The plastic equivalent (Impulse 1015P) is only 4 lbs lighter. Get those crank stands.... The SP5.5s, with BW woofers (4'' voice coil), big RX22 horn and all that power on board, look seriously capable of big sound from a single box. Al

Pricey!

• Members

Not really. When you get into this range of quality/output capability, 949$ american is what you should expect. Basically same price as an NX55P and actually less than an NX750P. Al

That is MSRP. They street at $740.00. Pretty doggone good price for a high MI-grade, bi-amped cab IMHO.

• Members

:freak: I'm always amazed that there are people who like Peavey. To me they're very harsh..tons of generous annoying mid range and ear piercing highs at louder volumes.

To each his own. You may feel the same about other brands like JBL, Bose, Community etc. Peavey just does not cut it for me...whether it's cheap or otherwise.

• Members

:freak:
I'm always amazed that there are people who like Peavey. To me they're very harsh..tons of generous annoying mid range and ear piercing highs at louder volumes.

To each his own. You may feel the same about other brands like JBL, Bose, Community etc. Peavey just does not cut it for me...whether it's cheap or otherwise.

There seem to be many who love Peavey gear... could it be the way you EQ/set your system or other gear in the system?

• Members

:freak:
I'm always amazed that there are people who like Peavey. To me they're very harsh..tons of generous annoying mid range and ear piercing highs at louder volumes.

I'm not sure how you can make a general statement like that. Every company has different lines of products at different price points that sound different. How many recent Peavey speakers have you heard? Have you ever heard the Impulse 1015 or the SP5 or any of the QW series speakers - or just the lower level PV or PR cabs or worse would be the older Peavey stuff? There are many excellent sounding Peavey speakers out there today. I have used them, I have heard them. But they were EQ'd properly and used by someone who knew what they were doing. I have heard many good speakers sound like crap because of the people who were using them - many DJs for example who think distorted = sounds good and loud.....

Tons of midrange, ear piercing highs? Well, pretty much any PA speaker is capable of producing these if not EQ'd properly or if operated at above the level they were designed to. If you get a chance, go listen to an Impuse 1015 or SP5 and I'm pretty sure your opinion will be different....If I would have just listened to Yorkville's Performance series cabs without hearing an NX600 or NX55P or Elite box, I might be tempted to say Yorkville speakers sound annoying and middy and make that my opinion of the entire Yorkville line. I don't think that would be a fair or true statement however. Al

• Members

Well, I think their PV line has similar negative characteristics to those explained above and better sounding products can certainly be found at the same price. But as far as the SP series is concerned, I dont hear it. To me, JBL (especially JRX/MPro200) has a more harsh and boxy sound than the SP series does. The SP-5 is my favorite box in its class for the fact of it being well balanced and smooth without a real "boxy" sound.

• Members

Well, I think their PV line has similar negative characteristics to those explained above and better sounding products can certainly be found at the same price. But as far as the SP series is concerned, I dont hear it. To me, JBL (especially JRX/MPro200) has a more harsh and boxy sound than the SP series does. The SP-5 is my favorite box in its class for the fact of it being well balanced and smooth without a real "boxy" sound.

As i mentioned about Peavey...'to each his own'. Don't hate me for disliking Peavey. I don't hate you for disliking other brands either.

• Members

As i mentioned about Peavey...'to each his own'. Don't hate me for disliking Peavey. I don't hate you for disliking other brands either.

Of course I dont hate you... as long as you dont hate... me;) Either way, I am still curious if you were including the SP line into your feelings. Or what speaker in particular pops up in mind that sort of epitomises your feelings? ...Dig deep -use your hatred -It will make you POWERFUL!:evil:

;)

• Members

Nobody will hate you for disliking Peavey or any brand for that matter. After all, you are a Stuningbabe :) It's just that some of the very things you mention such as extreme midrange emphasis, is exactly the opposite of how I would describe an Impulse 1015 for example. These speakers sound great out of the box (with very little if any EQ applied) and are far from being harsh or middy at all for PA speakers. If you heard a pair of 20 year old SP2s, however, I would agree with you they are not pleasant sounding and very midrange focused/loud sounding cabinets. Have you used any recent Peavey products yourself or did you simply hear them used by somebody else? It makes a big difference. A bad operator can make even the best sounding boxes sound like crap....while you could probably EQ some to your taste in sound very easily. We really aren't trying to argue with you at all. It's just many people who have tried many, many speakers in their lifetime (including myself) have very good things to say about newer Peavey speakers. Especially the Impulse and SP lines. I have used the Implulse 1015 many times and can tell you that it has a very hi-fi sound with very little ear fatiguing midrange. I have also recently heard SP5s in more than one venue and was impressed by the sweet vocal reproduction and full sound they offered. We have probably had different experieces which would explain our differing opinions. If you do get a chance to try some newer Peavey (not PV or PR) cabs, let us know your impressions. If your fellings are the same, that's perfectly OK, I was just a little surprised given all of my positive experiences with them. Take care, Al :thu:

• Members

AL...perhaps I'm too used to hearing so many SP2's and SP5's (old and new SP series) in NZ and Malaysia....and they don't sound nice to my ears. I just don't like the way they sound. Much like my friend who does not like BOSE 802. He finds BOSE too 'plastic-ky' sounding...boxy and hollow...way way overpriced. I agree with him.

As for Peavey, for what its worth, its a workhorse..but then...so are many other brands. Not that Peavey's the ultimate 'will last forever' speakers...of course. ONly thing going for it is the price...which I think is affordable...but to praise it so much for the sound,well...it really is 'to each his own'.

I'm no Peavey basher...but a non-Peavey fan.

• Members

ONly thing going for it is the price...which I think is affordable...but to praise it so much for the sound,well...it really is 'to each his own'.

Not only price. Once you get into Impulse/SP territory, you are talking about very high quality and high output HF and LF drivers. Black widow woofers with 4'' Voice coils. My friend uses his 1015s as his home stereo. They don't sound as good as an expensive set of Paridigm, B&W or Energy speakers but they sound incredibly good for a Pa speaker. The SP2s he used to have did not sound as good however, for some reason. The components were similar if not the same, but they seemed to be tuned differently. The SP2 seemed more aggressive and middy to my ears - more of a live sound tuned cabinet. What are some of your favorite cabinets? My favorites at the moment are my Yorkville NX55Ps. These are the best sounding PA speakers I have heard to date. I use them in my studio and to listen to most of my music. Even at high levels, they are not annoying to listen to at all. Amazing, nice full sound from such a little box.... Al

Archived