Pitch Correcter

• Members

I agree, they are stupid. As a singer/player I'd rather have s little reality in my voice, a couple little notes that aren't perfect, to show that I'm really singing. If you're goingto go to the trouble of using oe of those, why don't you just lip-sync the whole part?

• Members
I agree, they are stupid. As a singer/player I'd rather have s little reality in my voice, a couple little notes that aren't perfect, to show that I'm really singing. If you're goingto go to the trouble of using oe of those, why don't you just lip-sync the whole part?

The couple times I've tried one it tends to take away any realness you try to put into your singing. Lots of times you want to create tension,etc, by hanging a little flat before resolving right on the note. Stuff like that.

• Members

You don't set it to perfect correction or it won't sound real. You have to set it to very a little with in the desired pitch range or scale to get it natural sounding. You'd be suprised how often they're used. Pop is notorious for using pitch correction (when it's not lip-sync'ing).

• Members
You don't set it to perfect correction or it won't sound real. You have to set it to very a little with in the desired pitch range or scale to get it natural sounding. You'd be suprised how often they're used. Pop is notorious for using pitch correction (when it's not lip-sync'ing).

It made Shania a star, right?

• Members

No, I'm well aware of it.

• Members

The singer has to be prepared to sing in pitch. A pitchy voice and the pitch corrector will add a lot of artifacts to the vocals. Sure in a well laid down track and they have a phrase out it will save a lot of work. In a practice situation it does help a person work out pitch problems. It won't teach you to sing though but you can add some cool effects with it

• Members

One of the most popular units is the Anatares Auto Tune. You can usually find them used on EBAY. I can't remember what I paid for mine but it was a good deal. I use it at all times.

You plug it into your MIC channel as an "insert" and set the sensitivity. You can set it to specific keys but I just run mine as "chromatic" and it basically rounds you to the nearest note if you are a little bit off. It works great.

Obviously you need to be able to sing but it definitely helps smooth out any rough edges. There are more expensive units that do vocal effects and also have an autotune function. The Antares is solely an auto tune. It doesn't add any reverb or effects.

Again, people here LOVE to hate it. They are probably the same people who'd rather sing a song in the original key and butcher it than transpose it to their key. All the bands in my area use some kind of pitch corrector. As long as you can sing to begin with, it will give you a more polished professional live sound.

:thu:

• Members

Amazingly enough, I get a polished professional sound without one it's called technique and practice........ Seems most folks don't want to have to sing on-pitch anymore....

Not for me....

Congratulations! You're awesome!! Stay above the fray! I'm sure your audiences notice and care.

• Members

Love the sarcasm, Bob. Audiences do notice, they notice that a human being is performing an artform he/she has worked very hard on, they notice that little wrong note and something inside of them says "Wow, he's pretty good, but he's human" and they order an extra beer that night, the bar manager sees his profits going up, the world is a better place....

I never claimed to be awesome, that is a rare thing nowadays (awesomeness). I just don't like to walk with a crutch if I don't need to.

• Members

Love the sarcasm, Bob. Audiences do notice, they notice that a human being is performing an artform he/she has worked very hard on, they notice that little wrong note and something inside of them says "Wow, he's pretty good, but he's human" and they order an extra beer that night, the bar manager sees his profits going up, the world is a better place....

I never claimed to be awesome, that is a rare thing nowadays (awesomeness). I just don't like to walk with a crutch if I don't need to.

Pitchyness = increased beer sales. Learned something new today. Thanks!

I just think it's funny that people use an endless array of effects to improve the "tone" of their instruments, but there is some kind of moral stance when it comes to vocal effects. I can sing without it as well (so I guess I get a medal too?) but I choose to take advantage of technology to improve my overall sound. Call it a crutch if you like. Is reverb also a crutch? Just curious where the line is.

Anyway, .. your audience notices when you sing a bad note... my audience does not. Maybe if you plugged in the Antares, you could get $10 instead of $7 for your band's cd of cover songs. And as for aging cover bands selling cd's of cover material.. we'll save that for another thread.

• Members

Good discussion, I want one because of 2 reasons, one my backup singers are bad....very bad, second I would like to use it to add some thickness to the vocals and nice harmony generation. Is that a bad thing, not really I want to give the people a good show. It is not like I am changing everything with a button, just giving the band a little help.

• Members

Anyway, .. your audience notices when you sing a bad note... my audience does not. Maybe if you plugged in the Antares, you could get $10 instead of $7 for your band's cd of cover songs. And as for aging cover bands selling cd's of cover material.. we'll save that for another thread.

The audience doesn't notice when a singer is on key, they do notice though when a singer is off-key. Unless you're a regular Dylan and singing off-key is part of the vibe (which actually, is the case with my guitarist's blues band.. he's an awful singer but that totally adds to the vibe of the whole thing), then people will probably think you're a mediocre singer at best. But hey, I've seen so many bad singers, running into mediocre singers who do a "good enough" job is a pleasure. It'll help smooth out any little problems you may have... but I guess that's what practice is for.

This must've been what old-school guitarists went through when people started using distortion.

• Members

auto tune is a crutch, it says so in the name of the device, t will tune for you, so you don't have to.... Reverb is an effect, it doesn't claim to fix anything, it's an add-on. Line drawn, medal given. if you use an endless array of effects to improve your tone, your an idiot, as stated above, they are add-ons, your tone should be good going into it all...

everybody give kudos to Bob, O.K., his name is a palindrome, so be sure to pat him on the head for that too....

Also give kudos to those who invented the auto-tune, they've found a way to polish a turd.

• Members

I'm tempted to get one because I've run into some baaaad singers while running sound for local events.

It IS my job to try to get the band to the audience in the best way possible... right?

:(

It's the band's job not to suck.

• Members

Good discussion, I want one because of 2 reasons, one my backup singers are bad....very bad, second I would like to use it to add some thickness to the vocals and nice harmony generation. Is that a bad thing, not really I want to give the people a good show. It is not like I am changing everything with a button, just giving the band a little help.

Sounds like you are wanting it to replace the harmonies rather than assist them?

I like the idea since I feel the non-lead vocals should be the best singers (in respect to pitch) in the band. If they are bad they should not be singing. Most music is better with no harmonies than bad harmonies. I've not seen a club band using vocal processing to generate harmonies, let us know how that goes for you!

• Members

You are right, really it is going to be more of a replacement tool, they are bad singers (yes they are practicing to improve, but they need a lot of work). I figure this will help me get rid of needing them to sing in most situations if they don't improve enough. I will let you know how it works out. It may be a month before I get the unit (I am saving up for it right now, and I only use money that I earn from my studio and band income to pay for these types of items). My paycheck is working toward saving up to build our new home.

Archived