Deciding between two sets of Peavey PA speakers (PR15 vs SP2)

• Members

Heya,

Wound up with two sets of PA bins, both Peavey, both 15in speaker and a horn.

PR15s are, I believe, a few years old, 8ohms, 300w RMS, plastic housing.

SP2s are older, mid-80s maybe, 8ohms, marked as only 150w continuous, heavy wooden enclosures.

Operating a Yamaha EMX-5000-12, 2x500w at 4ohms.

One choice much better than the other? Obviously the newer speakers can handle a little more juice--are they louder though (everyone talks about how loud the older speakers are)?

State your preferences and opinions please.

• Members

Heya,

Wound up with two sets of PA bins, both Peavey, both 15in speaker and a horn.

PR15s are, I believe, a few years old, 8ohms, 300w RMS, plastic housing.

SP2s are older, mid-80s maybe, 8ohms, marked as only 150w continuous, heavy wooden enclosures.

Operating a Yamaha EMX-5000-12, 2x500w at 4ohms.

One choice much better than the other? Obviously the newer speakers can handle a little more juice--are they louder though (everyone talks about how loud the older speakers are)?

State your preferences and opinions please.

PR15s will sound smoother, look better and be easier to carry. The old SP2s will probably seem louder but feedback easier given their more midrange focused sound. Both will handle roughly the same amount of power. I'm pretty sure the PR15s are not 300 watts RMS. The newest models are 200 watts RMS, 400 Program and 800 Peak. Back in the old days (SP2s) Peavey only indicated the RMS number which means those SP2s are 150 RMS and 300 Program. They sound loud but are annoyingly honky IMO. You may get more SPL out of them since I think they are slightly more efficient than the PRs. Not the enjoyable type of SPL though...Most speakers were like this at the time however.... If anything, those older SP2s are durable... Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Up until about 3 years ago, I was gigging a set of those original Peavey SP2s. You have them both, try them both, see which sounds better with NO EQing. I'm sure the SP2s will have a stronger low end.

After my experience, I'd tend to use the SP2s as mains and the PR15s as monitors.

The 150 RMS max on the cab is the same as their current Continuous rating, meaning 300 watts program and 600 watts peak. I confirmed this long ago on the Peavey website. Also, the SP2s are very efficient coming from a time of costly amplifier wattage. I supplied mine with 235watts per speaker over subs and would use the sub amp, a RMX2450, for SOS gigs for 450-500 watts per speaker (depends on the spec you read). I bought mine used about 8 years back and sold them last year for almost what I paid for them. And I only sold them because I was running out of storage space, they were great for my few DJ gigs.

Boomerweps

• Members

We use the PR15's in a monitor role. The most amazing thing about them is how light they are for speakers. They are so light, everyone wants to haul them in/out (as opposed to our other gear) I think they sound OK for monitors. We have the same speakers in our practice room flown from the ceiling and it sounds OK.

• Members

I like the PR15 and everything, but the SP2 is the way to go in my opinion. Much stronger sound and projection from the highs. You wouldnt need to push these nearly as much to get them to go over the band. And they arent neccessarily "harsh" sounding. They actually sound quite decent in my opinion. They are behemoths however...:)

• Members

studio04.jpg

I love my SP-1's I stack another 15 then a 12 Then I drive them with my Peavey stereo 2000. But I have hemeroids hanging down to my knees. Yes in that room I need to replace a 22XT driver right now. But I still love my old cabs.They have a smooth low end with the wedge back drivers.

• Members

PR15's are nice and lighweight but NO way 300W rms. We sold the PR12's and PR15's for a while and the hf drivers always had problems. There are these long fuses in the crossover that have very bad metal contact. Get out a light wire brush and rub the end contacts as well as the fuse socket. Squeeze the U shaped fuse holder ends a little tighter too. That will improve connectivity and prevent the hf driver from going bad. :D

Archived