FBT MaxX4A vs MaxX6A

• Members

Hi everybody,

First some background. I play keyboards in an instrumental progressive rock band: strings, piano, synth, vox, hammond etc. I've been borrowing an old pair of EON15P-1 (Original) speakers for keys when rehearsing and for gigs for a long time.

Since they are not mine and also because I'm not fond of how they sound (mids and highs) I'm looking at replacing them. I've heard a lot of good things about the FBT MaxX4A and think that these may be a good choice. However I can possibly get a very good deal on some used MaxX6A 's that obviously have much more power (700+200 vs 300+100) and a 15" woofer instead of a 12".

The problem is that I have not seen (m)any people vent their opinion on the MaxX6A so I was wondering if these might be a good choice too. First and foremost I'm looking for a high quality sound (as close to HiFi as possible) but I also do need sufficient bass response because some of the keyboard parts are fairly bass heavy. The old JBL's are actually holding up quite well in that department.

So, basically what I would like to know is:

The thing is that I can perhaps get the MaxX6A (used, from a shop) for the same price as the MaxX4A new (about EUR 700 = US$780). If the MaxX6A sounds as good as the MaxX6A that would probably negate the need for a separate sub entirely. Then again putting the MaxX6A on a pole won't be much fun.

Any advice? It will be very difficult to audition these speakers so any information that will point me in the right direction would help.

Thanks,

Arjan

Archived