JBL EON G2 / JBL EON / Mackie SRM450 / Peavey NEO 15

• Members

Stopped in GC the other day and had a chance to A/B/C/D these speakers:

$699 --> JBL EON G2

$699 --> Mackie SRM450

$449 --> JBL EON 15P-1

$199 --> Peavey PR 15 NEO

The powered JBL EON G2 was the best sounding to my ears.

The powered Mackie was a close second (but not close enough to consider buying at the same price point).

The original powered JBL EON 15P-1 was not in the same league as the other two. Mackie really put on the pressure with the SRM450, but JBL had a great come back with the G2.

The non-powered Peavey was light weight, that's all I can say without sounding completely negative.

I've got to say that JBL did an excellent job on the EON G2. It had a nice low end sound. Depending on a person's needs, you could probably get away with out having a sub. It reproduced the frequency spectrum very well.

• Members

Stopped in GC the other day and had a chance to A/B/C/D these speakers:

$699 --> JBL EON G2

$699 --> Mackie SRM450

$449 --> JBL EON 15P-1

$199 --> Peavey PR 15 NEO

The powered JBL EON G2 was the best sounding to my ears.

The powered Mackie was a close second (but not close enough to consider buying at the same price point).

The original powered JBL EON 15P-1 was not in the same league as the other two. Mackie really put on the pressure with the SRM450, but JBL had a great come back with the G2.

The non-powered Peavey was light weight, that's all I can say without sounding completely negative.

I've got to say that JBL did an excellent job on the EON G2. It had a nice low end sound. Depending on a person's needs, you could probably get away with out having a sub. It reproduced the frequency spectrum very well.

*** One very important thing to mention is that most powered speakers have pre-equalization built-in to their sound - including low and or high frequency boosts to make the cabinet sound great out of the box. The PR15, being the only passive cab of the 4, did not have this advantage so probably sounded very dull in comparison. If you would have heard the PR15P which does have such processing, I'm pretty sure your evaluation would be different - with the PR15P at least outshining the original Eon 15. Al

• Members

Yes ... and in addition you'll get a lot more dynamic range with the bi-amped units.

Have you ever compared an Eon1500 to the Eon15P?

or a Mackie C300 to the 450?

Same components, same box but no bi-amp or processing!

I'd say the powered units sound about 30% to 50% better:thu:

• Members

The best sounding powered speakers I have heard are the EV SXA250. They just have a more natural "unmolded" sound to me... (they are wooden) But then again, I feel the SXA100 (which is molded) shares that same quality. The Mackie and JBL are kind of a toss up for me -they sill have that "molded" midrangy sound -but do sound okay. The Peavey PR15P is excellent for the money and are very very light. The Samson DB500A is okay but weighs far more than the others. Still havent heard any Yorkville except for what I think is called the LS700P 15" powered subwoofer. Very impressive.

• Members

SilleeSpyder,

You are too funny.... I see you are idolizing/emulating Esteban with your comment...

The best sounding powered speakers I have heard are the EV SXA250. They just have a more natural "unmolded" sound to me... (they are wooden) But then again, I feel the SXA100 (which is molded) shares that same quality.

Now read you Esteban quote:

"People of all ages love this guitar -especially children ...and adults."

-Esteban

Archived