What to add next to PA?

• Members

What should I add/replace next? My rig consist of the following:

Mains- (2) Mackie SA1530z

Subs- (2) Yorkville LS800P

Monitors- (4) Mackie SRM450

Mixer- Mackie 1604vlz

Crossover- dbx 223XL

dbx AFS-224 Feedback Suppression Processor (monitors)

Snake- Horizon Concert Series 100' 16-Channel/4-Return Stage Snake

Vocal Mic

• Members

Upgrade the mixer to have one with 4 seperate monitor mixes since you are using powered monitors (aren't those powered?). Then another stereo EQ for the two new mixes.

Packaging is a good place to invest. Better racks, better organized racks. Sub-snakes to clean up the stage and have less long mic cables to coil. Shorty mic cables to go with the sub-snakes. Matching (flight) cases for cabling. I use a larger plastic case to figure-8 my main snake, MUCH simpler than trying to wind & coil it nicely, easier to feed out, too.

POWER. Get a bunch of 12ga BLACK power cable and make up several power cables for your system with quads & duplex outlets. Always a good investment. Plus getting rid of colored power cables makes you look more pro and less "part time lawn care". ;>)

And a couple overheads for the drums.

Boomerweps

• Members

Upgrade the mixer to have one with 4 seperate monitor mixes since you are using powered monitors (aren't those powered?). Then another stereo EQ for the two new mixes.

Packaging is a good place to invest. Better racks, better organized racks. Sub-snakes to clean up the stage and have less long mic cables to coil. Shorty mic cables to go with the sub-snakes. Matching (flight) cases for cabling. I use a larger plastic case to figure-8 my main snake, MUCH simpler than trying to wind & coil it nicely, easier to feed out, too.

POWER. Get a bunch of 12ga BLACK power cable and make up several power cables for your system with quads & duplex outlets. Always a good investment. Plus getting rid of colored power cables makes you look more pro and less "part time lawn care". ;>)

And a couple overheads for the drums.

Boomerweps

Thanks for the advice, all good points. I like your idea of a sub-snake and black power cables to look more profesional. Also, we are using 2 Shures SM81 as drum overheads and another SM81 for Hi-Hats and yes those are powered speakers.

• Members

I am not happy with vocals, maybe better vocal mic's and gates/compressors would help. Maybe I'll add another pair of Yorkville LS800P subs.

If you aren't happy with vocals, more sub wouldn't be the ticket. An EQ and possibly different vocal mics. SM58's are workhorses but they don't cut through a mix exceptionally well. You may want something a little brighter. I like the Beta 58, but some don't like the proximity effect.

• Members
main eq? (another DBX-231 would be the obvious choice here) Maybe try out some aletrnate vocal mics? FOH effects processor?

Looks like a good basic rig... a lot better IMO than many.

:thu: Could you recommend me a FOH effects processor? Also do you think getting a dbx 1231 for FOH instead of the 231 would be worth the $$$ difference?

• Members

I supply a couple of EV-457s in my band, and my bass player started using his Shure SM-58 recently. I was soundchecking the mics Saturday night, and the difference in the same voice coming from the different mics was unbelievable. I don't think they could ever be eq'd to sound the same. The EVs are much more "open".

• Members

I'd get racks and cases for absolutely everything. It's so nice to be able to roll the whole rig in and out of a gig.

second that motion, plus:

1) Decent transprotation vehicle

2) Good handtrucks

3) Power distro, feeder cable, quad boxes

4) Good mic stands

5) Good gloves all around

6) AC power checker-outer devices

7) Tool box with all the right goodies

8) Redundancy in the "show stopper" critical items.

• Members

Gotcha. I'd think that would be useful for vocals, no? Maybe I'm just a crappy singer (no - i AM a crappy singer)

One problem I been having with the lead singer is that when he plays bass and sings he constantly keeps looking at his bass and moves his mouth away from the mic. Every time he does that he can't be heard. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

• Members

First, get some decent mics. If the stage volume is low enough, and your PA levels are low enough, the AE5400, VX10, and KMS105 would be prime choices. If you want something safer, my favorite is the OM7, and the M88 is decent. The Beta 87 isn't bad, and the Heil PR20 has been getting good press.

Next, get a better mixer - Allen & Heath MixWiz would be my choice.

• Members

One problem I been having with the lead singer is that when he plays bass and sings he constantly keeps looking at his bass and moves his mouth away from the mic. Every time he does that he can't be heard. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I think compression might help but I'll let someone with more experience answer.

• Members

I think compression might help but I'll let someone with more experience answer.

I'm not saying compression is a bad answer but good mic technique needs to be addressed at the source first. Effects are nice, like eq and compression, but mic placement and mic technique must be the starting point. Crap in, Crap out.:blah:

• Members

If you aren't happy with vocals, more sub wouldn't be the ticket. An EQ and possibly different vocal mics. SM58's are workhorses but they don't cut through a mix exceptionally well. You may want something a little brighter. I like the Beta 58, but some don't like the proximity effect.

Or a Senhieser E835, They cut through a mix well.

• Members

The ONLY fix for this particular problem is to learn how to play the bass, or whatever instrument, without looking at it.

Archived