Yet another question for the PA gods...

• Members
:thu: Thanks guys for all the help up to this point. Here is what I just bought and need just a little more advice. I ended up going with one SWA 1501 for a SUB and 2 SRM 450's for my mains. The board I am using is the Yamaha MG16/6FX. I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting. My question is however how I'm going to mic everything up. Right now the only thing I don't have is the 1501. It will however be here this week. So how do I mic drums and bass? I got guitar and vocals down. Will the bass and drums be through the sub only? What are some good mic choices for both? Thanks.

• Members

:thu:
Thanks guys for all the help up to this point. Here is what I just bought and need just a little more advice. I ended up going with one SWA 1501 for a SUB and 2 SRM 450's for my mains. The board I am using is the Yamaha MG16/6FX. I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting. My question is however how I'm going to mic everything up. Right now the only thing I don't have is the 1501. It will however be here this week. So how do I mic drums and bass? I got guitar and vocals down. Will the bass and drums be through the sub only? What are some good mic choices for both? Thanks.

Depending on the size of the venue, you might not always need to mic all the drums. In smaller places, just mic the kick drum for some extra thump to your sound - the snare,hi-hat and cymbals are often loud enough on their own. As for the bass, just use a DI (direct box) to send a signal to your mixer. As for the bass and kick going to the sub only, that depends if you are using a crossover in the system or not. Others with more Live sound experience will surely give you some more input... Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members
:thu:
Thanks guys for all the help up to this point. Here is what I just bought and need just a little more advice. I ended up going with one SWA 1501 for a SUB and 2 SRM 450's for my mains. The board I am using is the Yamaha MG16/6FX. I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting. My question is however how I'm going to mic everything up. Right now the only thing I don't have is the 1501. It will however be here this week. So how do I mic drums and bass? I got guitar and vocals down. Will the bass and drums be through the sub only? What are some good mic choices for both? Thanks.

Bass and drums would sound horrid through subs only.:freak:

• Members

Will the bass and drums be through the sub only?

No, the sound of each will be full range coming out of your mixer. Then the signal gets sent out to the crossover (2 way) and gets split up. You then have a low (sub) out to your sub amp, and a high (top) out to your top amp.

• Members

As for mics, shure sm57's are cost effective and virtually indestructible when whacked w/ a drum stick for the kit/hi hat and good old akg d112 for the kick. HOWEVER it is more imprtant that the drums themselves be made to sound as good as possibe first-garbage in=garbage out remember....then if cash is no problem consider other models of mics. A direct box for the bass and you're off and running. Good luck.

• CMS Author

You will need to get a crossover, as mentioned previously, the mixer sends a fulrange signal, which the crossover divides into two or more outputs, LF HF, and if used, MF and the resulting signals are sent to the corresponding amps/speakers.

For now, try to start small and add mic's as you learn how. Send a DI signal from the bass guitar, and get that sounding good. Then add a kick drum. This in and of itself can be a complete thread of discussion, as there are as many opinions as there are people in the business. Just use a decent mic like a D-6, B-52, D-112 and place it in or near the sound hole and move it around until you're happy. Be sure to have the drum tuned and sounding good....can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

After this, perhaps add an SM-57 near the snare. You may find, as some do, that this is really all that's needed, as the mic will pic up plenty of the cymbals and toms. In any case, go slow, only do something for a specific reason, take notes if needed, and ask questions if you get lost. And as also mentioned, I'll reinforce....don't mic the kit unless it's really needed. Small venues need only kick. Outdoors is where the kit can almost always benefit from mic'ing.

Archived