Question about input gain pads...

• Members

The Ashly MX 406 is a nice looking passive 6 channel 2 Rack Unit mixer, with a three position input pad switch.. -20, -40, & -60 db. (no other apparent adjustments). How effective would these be for setting the gain structure for acoustic guitars and vocals, maybe a keyboard... for lower level coffee house type gigs? Any ideas?

• Members

Acoustic guitars - probably won't use the pads.

Vocals - depends if you have a really hot singer who will clip your preamps.

Typically input gain pads are for signals with really high levels prone to clipping the preamp. Think kick and snare drums, for instance.

Chris

• Members

I don't believe that's a pad, it's actually a gain control and sets the gain of the first input stage. Unless you plan on sending a real line level signal (+4dBu) to the unit, it should be just fine. If you need to use a line level signal, add a 20dB external pad to the appropriate input.

It's a great piece. I have a bunch of the competing product of the day, the Yamaha M406.

• Members

Yes.

Yes, thank you.

I don't have the money right now... but that is the mixer I keep getting back to when i think about the "smallest possible rig" for a acoustic coffee house thing. That mixer with my Alesis quadraverb in a little rack. I don't see any aux return, so I guess i would have to be returning the reverb into an input channel.

• Members

Yes, I have thought about that many times actually. I have taken to using a Strnad Harmonica Transducer for my racked harp, because I like the sound of them (it sort of "cups" the harp like my hands can't do cause the harp is in a rack AND permits different channel EQ and FX for the harp from the vocal), leaving me wishing for three channels minimum, Vocal, Harp, and Guitar. And then I always wish for someone else to come along and join in (even though no one ever does) and would like to have an extra channel or two, for "growth".... but, I have come to believe that that amp probably sounds great, and maybe I should enjoy the added simplicity of NOT using the harp transducer... anything I do for a while, as I have tired to do various set -ups... anything I do for a while, I somehow come to accomodate the differing characteristics.

• Members

That amp is looking nicer and nicer. Is there pahntom power available on the XLRs?

I could run my guitar through a preamp (sans amp acoustic DI or such,) which would allow me a level control on it, and then run the guitar and the voice into one side of that thing, and then run the harp into the other channell with all the higs cut and added reverb. I bet it would sound awesome (except for it would be ME playing) actually, I am sure it is a great product. All of this for the cost of the ashly mixer.

I notice the speaker carries 300 watts, but the amp is only 200 watts, is that because you don't want to see those buggers again once you sell them? :)

• Members

That amp is looking nicer and nicer. Is there pahntom power available on the XLRs?

I could run my guitar through a preamp (sans amp acoustic DI or such,) which would allow me a level control on it, and then run the guitar and the voice into one side of that thing, and then run the harp into the other channell with all the higs cut and added reverb. I bet it would sound awesome (except for it would be ME playing) actually, I am sure it is a great product. All of this for the cost of the ashly mixer.

I notice the speaker carries 300 watts, but the amp is only 200 watts, is that because you don't want to see those buggers again once you sell them?
:)

Yes, there is 15 volts phantom power available at the XLR inputs. This will work with almost all condenser mics typically used for live applications. If you have a question about the compatability with a particular mic, feel free to PM me.

Yes, we tend to be quite conservative with our designs. As a result, we rarely see equipment come back for service.

Note the tube preamp for your guitar;)

Archived