Mixing a Performance in Another Room?

• Members

Ok one of the local venues at which I run sound (my Church) is planning on moving all the house gear into a room at the back of the venue covered with fiberglass windows so that it is easy to see the stage from the room. How horrid will this be? They are planning to do this as a way to get all the sound gear out of the way and out of sight.

I was planning on setting up a monitor as a better way to check levels than just using headphones. I will have a mic setup for talkback so communicating with the musicians should not be a problem. I will still be able to setup an RTA in the main room so I can check how the room sound is affecting the mix. Is this even doable?

• Members

Fiberglass window? Pretty tough to se through, no less hear what's going on.

As far as monitoring, headphones and an anbience mic located somewhere near where the pews/seats are (hung is an option) would be way better than listening to a board mix, and that way you can hear what may be said off mic that may be directed towards you.

Not ideal in any way, but possible.

• Members

You can make a very good ambience mic by putting two cheap electred capsules in the sides of soccer ball (or any other roughly head-shaped and head-sized object that fits with the decor) and listening with a diffuse field equalized and acoustically open headsets.

This gives a surprisingly accurate rendition.

• Members

Ok one of the local venues at which I run sound (my Church) is planning on moving all the house gear into a room at the back of the venue covered with fiberglass windows so that it is easy to see the stage from the room. How horrid will this be? They are planning to do this as a way to get all the sound gear out of the way and out of sight.

I was planning on setting up a monitor as a better way to check levels than just using headphones. I will have a mic setup for talkback so communicating with the musicians should not be a problem. I will still be able to setup an RTA in the main room so I can check how the room sound is affecting the mix. Is this even doable?

If they haven't decided yet, you can still change their minds. If you have a digital console...you could try controlling it from a notepad or laptop computer, but something about the whole "idea," seems as if this isn't the case.

Here again, we have

1. a church that does not have a clue

2. a proposed "get by" solution that may or may not work

This seems to be happening more and more ($2500 USD sound system?). I agree totally with Rbts--the soundperson needs to be IN the room where he/she is doing sound. Aesthetics should not dictate here. IDK, is it possible that the FOH is too messy? A cleaned up install/area cleaning may help. Good luck, sir, I don't envy you.

• Members

okay I have to ask WHY they want to do this... are they worried that they need to hide the gear?

Ugly looking gear/techs?

need more seating area?

you can solve amost any problems I can think of in better ways.

NO Doubt ugly techs is the problem.... I get that all the time... "um could you mix with this bag over your head?"

• Members

Yes it is a digital console (yamaha olv96), and I hope to soon be able to control from a laptop. As to the work area - it is rather clean actually. They want the stuff out of sight as a way to keep little children out of the area when I am not working in their (the whole rest of the week) and as a way to prevent it from being stolen as they have had gear stolen out of the sanctuary in the past. They also want to back there because that is where the computer that controls the projection will be and they want to have the two in close proximity. And as to an ugly tech - well most of the people seem quite pleased to see me - but maybe that is because without the soundguy the thing kinda flops.

• Members

Yes it is a digital console (yamaha olv96), and I hope to soon be able to control from a laptop. As to the work area - it is rather clean actually. They want the stuff out of sight as a way to keep little children out of the area when I am not working in their (the whole rest of the week) and as a way to prevent it from being stolen as they have had gear stolen out of the sanctuary in the past.

Locking cabinets.

-Dan.

• Members

I mixed from a backstage bathroom once. Got paid a $500 bonus to do so and so did the band. Turns out the sound seat kills hadn't happened as they were supposed to and the seats were sold... for $100 each. Either they could refund the money or give it to the band/sound co. What the hell, an extra $500 was a cool tip and it worked out ok. It was close to a set & forget type mix, excellent band dynamics, and I had a scout on radio in the house. This is an example of where experience pays (in this case real) dividends.

Archived