Bad Shure Beta 57a

• Members

I bought a new Beta 57a a couple weeks ago, my first chance to use it came last Thursday night at a gig. I got nothing but nasally highs from it, real piezo sounding, like a transistor radio. WTF? I compared it with a working Beta 57 and was able to determine that something is wrong with the mic. The retailer that I bought it from has not returned my phone calls or emails so I'm getting a real sense of being stuck here. What to do fellow forumites? I'm fairly handy and could fix it myself if I knew what to look for. Or should I send it to Shure? Thanks.:)

• Members

Unscrew it and make sure both wires are soldered to the coil thingy. Then pull out the connecter at the bottom and make sure both wires are attached to it.

Also check for a dodgy mic cable...

AS

Thank you. I'll give that a try.;)

• Members

Before you do that, just go get the microphone exchanged. Easier and you have a new microphone.

Thanks Mogwiz, but believe me, I have tried to contact the retailer (ebay ) and my phone calls and emails go unanswered. So now what?

• Members

He claims that it is the real deal and not the knock-off.

Who claims their fake as a knockoff? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of counterfeiting?

Who was your dealer? Was the price on the new Beta 57 atypically low?

If the unit is genuine, you should have no problem getting a replacement under warranty.

• Members

Check the mic cable FIRST.

If it's a real Shure mic, call Shure's customer service dept and they will take care of you provided the retailer was an authorized Shure dealer.

I took the wind screen off and compared it to the other one I have and it looks to be genuine. But I'm not screwing with it. I called Shure and they told me they hear this story everyday. If its a real Shure mic, it will cost $65 to repair, cost nothing if this vendor I'm dealing with is a bonafide Shure dealer.

He hasn't communicated with me at all so I doubt that he is ( email id:MUZIK4SAIL ). I paid $104 for it. I'll let you know what happens--thanks people.

• CMS Author

Did you call? (518)566-7631 That's the number that shows up for MUZIK4SAIL in eBay.

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=muzik4sail

Edit: sorry I see where you wrote that you called too. You should report them to eBay. Of course, after seeing a news story about how eBay really doesn't give a crap about stolen merchandise being essentially fenced via Ebay, I doubt this will amount to much. For all intents and purposes, eBay could care less where the items came from.

• Members

I reported it to Paypal (ebay) but they told me to work it out with the vendor before they take action. Of course there seems to be no way of getting in touch with the vendor. Pretty sketchy. We'll see where this goes. Thanks for the advice everybody.

• CMS Author

I reported it to Paypal (ebay) but they told me to work it out with the vendor before they take action. Of course there seems to be no way of getting in touch with the vendor. Pretty sketchy. We'll see where this goes. Thanks for the advice everybody.

Tell them the vendor can't be reached. I've had this happen with credit card purchases, and the credit card company will credit me and investigate. They have a lot more swing with the vendor than you can. Meantime they (Paypal) should issue you a temporary credit.

FWIW, this is one reason I use Amex as much as possible...they always credit me immediately if there's a problem, and every resolution has been fair and swift. They also will start an inquiry with me via phone call. Other credit companies require a written (snail mail) inquiry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I sent off the bad Beta 57a to Shure. They just sent me a replacement at no charge. Man, that was quick. The Shure customer service is top shelf. As for ebayer 'music4sail', he won't see any of my business again. Thanks for all the advice folks.

• Members

I sent off the bad Beta 57a to Shure. They just sent me a replacement at no charge. Man, that was quick. The Shure customer service is top shelf. As for ebayer 'music4sail', he won't see any of my business again. Thanks for all the advice folks.

This is one reason why I do recommend Shure products, even if they seem a little bit more expensive than the "competition". They do an excellent job of handling defective product repairs, and this is part of the value added when buying Shure products.

Archived