The Singing Drummer....help!

• Members

Need some recomendations on what to buy to keep the snare out of the drummer's vocal mic. He's a lead vocalist, whipping the snare, electronics are not an option.I'm guessing a frequency selective gate but is there one usable that will gate him out when not singing?

• Members

A Roland V-Drum kit. :)

Actually some mics do better than others, but my experience has been you won't keep it out, just try to minimize it. Crown 311a's mics are nice, sound "similar" to SM58 and give reasonable rejection. More info would help, type of music, type of kit & how hard drummer plays, drummer sings lead or back-up, etc.

• Members

There must be a way to use a noise gate to help with this too I would guess?

As someone once said on another sound forum...

ou an ate he ocal ic. f ou on't ind hat ou et.

If you get the point.

We use a straight 58 on our drummer (for backing vocals) and when he does falsetto parts I really have to slam the channel, and have never really had an issue with the Snare becoming too loud. If you are having an issue, try some different positions for the mic and see if that helps.

• Members

This is something that i have had spent the last couple of years on. I am the drummer of my band and lead vox. I have tried beta 58, beta 57, sm57, crown CM311A, Shure beta 54, and the beta 87c, all these mics( with the exception of the beta58) have reasonable isolation quality's, but after going through this headache i have ended up sticking with the beta 57, it seems to isolate fairly well, sounds decent and is rugged enough to take the occasional whack with a stick every now and then. Short of gating the entire drum kit i really don't think in a live situation that you get total isolation from the snare with any mic, best solution is to get your drummer to hit softer or maybe use "hotrods" or lighter sticks. Also having a open minded drummer who is willing to give things a try is the best solution.

Jess..:thu:

• Members

Does your drummer sing all the time? Another idea would be get a mic cord with an on/off switch. I am not positive but I think they are available. I am not sure how quiet they would be turning them on and off. But it would be cheaper than buying a new microphone.

• Members

On/off switch? I think it's ProCo that sells the Cough Drop and similar switches to use in line for microphones.

I used to use a SM57 as a singing drummer. Works well, better pattern control than a 58 style.

I now use the CM311A headset mic. It's differential cardiod pattern rejects sound from behind and the side really well. Plus it's right on the lips so that means more sensitivity for the vocals and less from elsewhere. And it has it's own silent switch on the beltpack, selectable internally for simple on/off, momentary on, or momentary off (while pressing it).

Boomerweps

• Members

I would think if your drummer's mic is picking up a lot of the drums, turning it on and off would result in very inconsistent drum levels in the PA. We have the same problem. Haven't really come up with a good solution.

• Members

Who's the manufacturer for this mic please? cm311A?

CROWN CM311A

Usually $199.99 everywhere in the US including Musician's Friend. Seems like a lot for the starving musician investing in PA gear but well worth it. It's a condenser so it needs Phantom Power but it can also operate off a 9vdc battery in the belt pack.

Boomerweps

• Members

Yes, that mic works well.... many drummers use it, it sounds easily as good as most hand held mics (SM58 etc).

Yep it's a great sounding mike but be careful, for if your drummer is a main vocalist he/she might not like the whole "can't work the mike" thing. For a drummer or anyone for that matter that sings only backups the headset can be just what the doctor ordered but for a main vocalist who is used to working the mike(as all experienced singers do) unless you have a reg FOH guy that knows all the parts so that they can ride your fader all night and or the latest and greatest compressors and d-essers then your drummer will prolly hate the headset.

Jess....:thu:

• Members

A lotta snare. what about hi hat?? isnt that washing into the mic..U can try using a gate lightly.. vocals and snare share much of the same frequency so instead of trying to cut the frequencys out or go with a pattern solution microphone. I always say... Try a gate! might be great! lol It works for me as a singing drummer, but im not very dynamic with my drums either.

• Members

I just wanted to get some fx on him but I dont want the the drums in that. You're right about the overall drum sound. If his mic aint on it changes his drums a lot. He doesnt want to use a headset for the reasons posted and once the tequila starts flowing dynamics are right out the window! BTW it's a 3piece cover group and all 3 sing, if that helps. Thanks to all for posting!

• Members

Make sure the back of the mic is pointed directly at the snare (or as directly as possible without getting in the way) before you go buying any new kit. I've seen a few sound guys point a mic side-on to the drum kit which, unless its a hyper-hyper-hyper cardioid or a shotgun mic, is definately gonna cause leaking problems from snare, hihat, crash, etc...

• Members

I just wanted to get some fx on him but I dont want the the drums in that. You're right about the overall drum sound. If his mic aint on it changes his drums a lot. He doesnt want to use a headset for the reasons posted and once the tequila starts flowing dynamics are right out the window! BTW it's a 3piece cover group and all 3 sing, if that helps. Thanks to all for posting!

Go the Beta 57, affordable, good isolation, tough, and sounds decent.

Jess..:thu:

Archived