Sono tubes?

• Members

Not a good choice. The inside of the tubes are fairly resonant so it's sound boingy. At the very least you have to seal the sends off.

Good diffuser can be made by hanging plywood panels off odd shapes at odd angles as randomy as possible. If it's well done, it looks kind of cool, like clouds in the sky. By choosing the thickness and hanging points of the plywood you can actually modify the reverb time by putting resonant absorption at certain frequency. Most churches benefit more from absorption then from diffusion.

If you are pressed for space, consider something like quadratic residue diffusor, which will provide the most diffusion in the least amount of space. IN general breaking up any large smooth surfaces will help.

• Members

Any Church sound systems out their use these for diffuser? if so do they work thanks? I got the info. from a Google search.

As stated sonotubes are pretty resonant and I can't imagin using them for acoustic control (maybe the right size in the right place as a bass trap but I personaly wouldn't do it). On the other hand I have seen them used very creativly in set design (dressed up properly they can be colums, Logs, log cabins or just interesting things floating around your stage).

• CMS Author

Some folks discover the hard way that sonotubes are not very moisture resistant over the long term....the cardboard and the glue dissolve over time when the product is used as intended. This can cause trouble when painting with water-base, or when used decoratively in high-humidity environs. Recently Sonoco Corp has a more resistant paper, so this problem can be minimized.

However, time to put on the safety hat again....before using this product for permanent installation indoors, especially in commercial or public spaces, check with the AHJ to be certain they meet any fire safety rules....paper burns, and dry sonotubes burn like mad.

Archived