Electro Voice or JBL?

• Members

I prefer the ZX5 personally. It just seems to have more detail, a smoother high end and is easier on the ear.

Finally! Someone that has heard the ZX5, Ive searched many times for info regarding these speakers and usually come up empty. Ive also looked at comparing the JBL but in the SRX line, mainly the 715. I like the fact that the ZX5 doesnt need as big as a amp to power it and I also like that it can be purchased as a 70deg box so you should be able to run 2 per side.

Anyway, if you have any additional comments about the EV Im all ears!

• Members

They can both be powered with similar sized amps. You don't NEED a larger amp w/ the JBLs. Both are good, solid performers IMO.

Do you think that a amp like a PLX3402 running stereo 700w each channel would make the SRX715's happy? JBL claims 800-1600-3200 power ratings for the box.

Thanks.

Ive never really heard the EV's but I do think the SRX 715s sound very nice.

I have never heard the MRX 515's either.

• Members

Do you think that a amp like a PLX3402 running stereo 700w each channel would make the SRX715's happy? JBL claims 800-1600-3200 power ratings for the box.

Thanks.

Ive never really heard the EV's but I do think the SRX 715s sound very nice.

I have never heard the MRX 515's either

Absolutely, and they will last a long time reliably that way.

• Members

Kadskinner,

I havent heard either the MRX 515 or the EV ZX5 but out of reputation and the fact you can get the EV cheaper than the MRX I would go with the EV. On EV's website theres several venues listed that have the ZX5's as main speakers, large churches and clubs alike so I can only imagine that they sound nothing but great. Here in the States the ZX5 costs more than the MRX but considerably less than the SRX like about $400-$500 less a box! I bet all three sound good. Let us know what you get, esp if you get the EV's.

Edit to add: do you already have the needed amps?

Agedhorse and others, thanks for answering the question.

• Members

I own the JBL MRX515's. They sound great..........especially the horns..........but they "cook" easily. You have to be very careful with them. I've already had to repalce one diaphram, and have seen these compression drivers on ebay for sale with cooked diaphrams. People are replacing these compression drivers with other units. I had a guy at a local music store advise that I do the same because he's seen the same problems with these horns, but I can't see myself doing it being the sound of the horns is the reason I bought these speakers.

The MRX515's dont handle a ton of power, but they do sound nice, get loud, and will last, but you have to be careful to not abuse them. Keep in mind, just as with any small single 15" two way, a sub is a must.

• CMS Author

I own the JBL MRX515's. They sound great..........especially the horns..........but they "cook" easily. You have to be very careful with them. I've already had to repalce one diaphram, and have seen these compression drivers on ebay for sale with cooked diaphrams. People are replacing these compression drivers with other units. I had a guy at a local music store advise that I do the same because he's seen the same problems with these horns, but I can't see myself doing it being the sound of the horns is the reason I bought these speakers.

The MRX515's dont handle a ton of power, but they do sound nice, get loud, and will last, but you have to be careful to not abuse them. Keep in mind, just as with any small single 15" two way, a sub is a must.

Why replace/modify a speaker driver that's still in warranty? If there's an issue, JBL should/would address it.

Archived