Peavey SP218 vs. SP218x

• Members

Are there any differences between these subs aside from the cosmetics and the lack of a speakon jack on the SP218x cabs?

Shop I do business with has a pair of SP218x's in stock and I'm thinking of getting a SP front-end (pair of 218's and SP2's). Should I specify that I want the newer SP subs or just get the older ones?

• Members

Are there any differences between these subs aside from the cosmetics and the lack of a speakon jack on the SP218x cabs?

Shop I do business with has a pair of SP218x's in stock and I'm thinking of getting a SP front-end (pair of 218's and SP2's). Should I specify that I want the newer SP subs or just get the older ones?

Quite a bit of difference. The new enclosure is birch vs MDF and the Black Widows have been replaced by Pro Riders. The new SP is also 20 lbs lighter.

• Members

Cool, thanks. I take it I should get the new ones.

Yes. Lighter, stronger cabinets, the ability to wire your speakons to power them as you choose (plus, just that speakons are soooo much better), and more power handling with similar sensitivity to the older models meaning louder with the proper sized amps.

Boomerweps

• Members

Yes. Lighter, stronger cabinets, the ability to wire your speakons to power them as you choose (plus, just that speakons are soooo much better), and more power handling with similar sensitivity to the older models meaning louder with the proper sized amps.

Boomerweps

Awesome, thanks.

• Members

Wait, what? I believe mine are SP118x cabinets and they've got Speakons...

There have been many versions of SP speakers and I'd have to pull up the Peavey manuals to keep them straight. It's been mention over at peavey.com that there was a push to keep 1/4" connectors on the SP series. Like on the SP2X there was a speakon for bi-amp and 1/4" for full range and pass through. It is really hard to keep up. The first SP118 had no suffix and now the newest has no suffix, even though there was a G and X (if not others) in between ;>(

Bottom line, if you have a choice, go with the newest model because they keep improving them ;>)

Boomerweps

Archived