Mic Recommendation for live Violin/Fiddle please

• Members

I've started playing in a bluegrass band and I decided it's time to get a decent mic for bigger venues where one mic for everyone isn't enough.

What would you all recommend? A fiddle player last night was using a Beta57. I've heard a MD421 would work.

What can you recommend? I want to spend less than $200.

Thanks.

• Members

You could check out the K & K Sound silver bullett condenser microphone. It is a small "clip on" that attaches with a velcro like tape. I use one of these for flute playing with a pop cover band; The mic cord plugs into a little 9V battery power box and the mic plugs into it too, I put the box in my jacket pocket and am free to move a bit. It worked well on my dulcimer too for a couple of worship service songs also.

• Members

I run sound for bluegrass festivals and I will agree with the Beta 57. I normally will use either a Beta 57, a Beta 58, or a standard 58 on live fiddle.

Clip on mics can be neat, but I have had trouble with them in smaller regional bands where set up time is critical between bands (I normally get ten minutes)..

I think you would be best served by getting used to an SM 58 since that will normally be the go to mic for fiddle at most bluegrass festivals.

• Members

I recently used a clip on Audio-Technica PRO 35 AX Condenser mic on an upright bass that moved around alot -- a mic on a stand was not an option. I know that the classic bluegrass style is for the group to play around one mic, then step up during a solo. I'm not a fiddle player but imagine you can control your own volume to some extent by how agressive you bow. In that case, by all means get the 35AX. You can clip it on however you want, and you can move all over the place at will. The mic has a WIDE dynamic range and sounds great. Isn't there also some piezo-type pickups that can be added on? That might be another option, recognizing that it might not sound the same as a mic'd violin.

Archived