Just to make sure that I'm not all jacked up.

• Members

Here's the PA that I'm going to be running, please tell me if I'm all cocked up on something or offer suggestions that will help me get the most out of my rig.

Peavey RQ-2318 mixer.

I'm running mono to the mains for now, so I'm going out of the Left Main channel to a Peavey 23XO. The high output is going to a Peavey QF131 and then to Channel A of a PV2600. The Low out of the XO23 is going straight to the B Channel of the PV2600.

Should I send the signal through the QF131 first before the XO23?

Would I be better served to use the mono for the main output?

Would it work better to use the mono for the subs only and utilize the other half of the crossover so I could control the crossover points a little better?

Channel A out of the PV2600 is going to a pair of Sonic T-15s and Channel B is feeding a pair of home build 18" subs which use DAYTON PF460-8 speakers.

I have a Peavey Deltafex in the loop.

I am using both monitor channels out of the mixer. One is for me(bass player/singer) and the guitarists.singers and the other is for the drummer.

I'm running both monitor outs through a behringer fbq-1502 and then to a Crown XLS-402. Half of the crown is feeding a trio of PR12s and the other side is driving an Avatar B212. I believe the old school xls(three rack space) is rated for 2 ohm stereo operation.

Thanks.

• Members

Mixe--EQ--crossover---respective outputs to their dedicated amp or amp channel. As for the mixer's outputs. If you are running mono, use whichever outputs are intended for mono operation.

Normally a good suggestion and that mixer does have a mono output with fader. BUT... (alway one of those) with the exception of some early versions, the RQ23xx models mono output DO NOT feed the meters, which is a good thing to have.

Boomerweps

• Members

No... I suggest: EQ through the mixer via insertion at the main insertion point, then out of the board to the crossover, then amps.

A nice way to do it, but again, NOT available on this mixer, no main mix inserts.

I have a RQ2314 and the manual handy on my computer ;>)

In order to use the mixer's mix output meters, I would use a stereo side for mono OR if you desire and have mentioned, use one side for tops and the other for the subs, using input channel PANs to keep the sub path separate. Again, to use the meters.

I would only use the mono out IF running the tops in stereo and the mono used for a center fill or some form of seperated sub control. It is NOT usable for Aux Fed Subs (as you may have read about) since the mono combines the left & right sides from all inputs.

Boomerweps

• Members

A nice way to do it, but again, NOT available on this mixer, no main mix inserts.

I have a RQ2314 and the manual handy on my computer ;>)

In order to use the mixer's mix output meters, I would use a stereo side for mono OR if you desire and have mentioned, use one side for tops and the other for the subs, using input channel PANs to keep the sub path separate. Again, to use the meters.

I would only use the mono out IF running the tops in stereo and the mono used for a center fill or some form of seperated sub control. It is NOT usable for Aux Fed Subs (as you may have read about) since the mono combines the left & right sides from all inputs.

Boomerweps

Well... there you go. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

• Members

Is there a benefit to using one side of the crossover for mains and the other for subs?

It seems like it would be nice to use the Left main out for the highs and the Right for the subs, just to have a level control for each at the mixer.

Or is this one of those things that I should tinker with to find what works for me as there is no set in stone perfect way of doing it?

• Members

Doesn't your crossover have vol/gains for each section?

Of course it does, but I'm curious if there would be any benefit to having the ability to use different crossover points. That crossover has 24 dB/octave filters, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

• Members

Of course it does, but I'm curious if there would be any benefit to having the ability to use different crossover points. That crossover has 24 dB/octave filters, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

You mean like rolling the subs off at say 80hz and bringing the top cabs in at 100hz and seeing if things fill in? Stuff like that?

• Members

You mean like rolling the subs off at say 80hz and bringing the top cabs in at 100hz and seeing if things fill in? Stuff like that?

Exactly, but then I think about the 24 dB slope filters and I'm not sure how much overlap there would be.

Also, if I put the EQ before the crossover in the signal chain, it seems like I could use the EQ to get the same benefits of different crossover points.

Or am I all wet?

• Members

Sounds like what you want is a DSP speaker manager. There are advantages to using the EQ on a single bandpass output as well as before the crossover

That's why we have both at the same time. You can also use asymmetrical crossovers (different types ... butterworth, bessel, LR as well as different slopes ... from 6 - 48 dB/oct). In addition you can adjust the phase of any pandpass or all (or both) and add limiters anywhere in the chain you want.

Take a look at this ... http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/115825/number/00420060/cat/92/begin/1/VSX%3F+26.cfm

• Members

Sounds like what you want is a DSP speaker manager. There are advantages to using the EQ on a single bandpass output as well as before the crossover

That's why we have both at the same time. You can also use asymmetrical crossovers (different types ... butterworth, bessel, LR as well as different slopes ... from 6 - 48 dB/oct). In addition you can adjust the phase of any pandpass or all (or both) and add limiters anywhere in the chain you want.

Take a look at this ...

Long term, that's what I'd like to do, but it just doesn't make sense for me to do that at this point. I'm currently in the K.I.S.S. mode because I'm confident that the more stuff I add to the rig, the worse it will sound because I have no idea how to make it all work in harmony.

I guess the thing for me to do is experiment and learn in the process. Then when I upgrade my rig, I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing.

• Members

Long term, that's what I'd like to do, but it just doesn't make sense for me to do that at this point. I'm currently in the K.I.S.S. mode because I'm confident that the more stuff I add to the rig, the worse it will sound because I have no idea how to make it all work in harmony.

I guess the thing for me to do is experiment and learn in the process. Then when I upgrade my rig, I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing.

Very good plan... many successful small steps are always better than one unsuccessful large step.

• Members

I'm currently in the K.I.S.S. mode because I'm confident that the more stuff I add to the rig, the worse it will sound because I have no idea how to make it all work in harmony.

Might I suggest that connecting several pieces of gear ... in your case the EQ and the crossover are actually more complicated than a single DSP. I'm betting that you use a single computer to do email, store your MP3s and videos, edit photos amybe even record and balance your checkbook instead of using a single device for each one. It all depends on how you look at it. You can elect to turn off any modules you don't want to use. This may seem backwards but when you do EVERYTHING inside one digital module you are less likely to have any issues with gain matching, interfacing, etc. You'll even use fewer cables so there's less likelyhood of something coming unplugged (not to mention cable costs or noise).

I think I forgot to mention that the VSX26 has an automatic EQ setup routine that actually works (unlike others I know about) that will actually make your system flatter or it will excuse itself and do nothing ... but it will never screw up your system.

Of course Andy will disagree with me ... but then again he's one of THOSE Old guys ;)

• Members

I don't disagree with Don, but I have also seen plenty of simple situations screwed up in ways I couldn't have imagined. I have yet to try a VSX, so I can't comment on it's particular user interface, but in general there are a lot of confusing configuration and parameter setting possibilities in a DSP unit. You still need to know what you are doing, and maybe Peavey's auto-eq routine actually does work. Others that I have tried do not do a very effective job IMO.

Don, how does the VSX handle time domain anomolies? Can it ignore them and not get fooled into trying to correct something that can't be corrected?

• Members

Sorry ... it's a secret process.

It ALWAYS makes things better, NEVER worse (assuming standard measuring mic practices). I'm not saying that it will correct everything ... it's just smart enough to not create any trouble. I did a lot of testing side by side with the Autograph feature and compared it to what I'd do setting the system up with Smaart Live. Darn close to the exact same results every time. I can tell you there's not many reasons to drag my Smaart system along any more for adjusting point source speaker systems. It's fast and easy and you actually end up running pink noise into the system very little. Probably only runs the noise for about 4-6 seconds for each measurement. You won't have as many club owners screaming at you.

Archived