upgrade advice on PA system....

• Members

Don't want to bore you with what I have because my weakest link that everyone is going to tell me to upgrade will be my mains...currently jrx 125's powered by a "B" word ep2500. I've kinda worked ass backwards since I already had purchased the mains and needed equipment for a past show....so I have the tour cases , reel snake , black ext cords , stands, quad boxes , gaffers tape , hand truck , etc... etc... but obviously lack in the main speaker dept and of course...the most important.

That being said...I originally was looking at the Yorkville EF500's to replace my mains when I stumbled upon the NX750's for about $800 less for the pair. I was wondering what your advice/input/suggestions would be as to which one to consider over the other...Is the $800 more worth the EF500's??

Here's some background:

1. purely amateur (but learning along the way thanks to all here)

2. metal/rock band

3. have Yorkie LS800 to complement mains

4. PA will include vocals/guitars/bass/drums

5. venues will range from small bar to school auditoriums (eventually)

thanks for your advice!!

• Members

No, your weakest link is definitely your power amp. $200-300 used would have gotten you a lot better amp. And hard to say your weakest link when you didn't even list anything other than a power amp and speakers. Or did I miss the other important stuff?

• Members

ok...

mixer: Mackie CFX-16

FOH: JBL JRX125's

Yorkie LS800PB

xover: DBX 223xl

amp(mains & monitor): behringer EP2500

monitors: JBL sf112 (2)

EQ: peavey Q431F (one channel main/one channel monitor)

mics: Sm58's , Sm57's, audiopiles, crown 311a

What I should have done is pointless as I currently have what I have....my thinking is my Jrx's are my weakest link for the following reasons:

1. they suck for mains

2. if I get powered mains I can eliminate the 2ohm load currently being placed on the b-amp by them (since I also use it to power monitors) and just use the amp for monitors (by the way when we play out I do rent a Yorkie amp just to run mains and to be safe)

therefore I would increase my sound quality while decreasing potential problems...am i thinking along the right lines here??

• Members

I'd definitely keep the speakers before the B amp. Certainly not great speakers by and stretch but they should work ok for a while if you smooth them out with your EQ and don't work them too hard. I'd get another sub and a different power amp. Then look at top cabs as your next upgrade after that.

• Members

I'd definitely keep the speakers before the B amp. Certainly not great speakers by any stretch but they should work ok for a while if you smooth them out with your EQ and don't work them too hard. I'd get another sub and a different power amp. Then look at top cabs as your next upgrade after that.

Archived