PA Instruction

• Members

I've been "elected" by my band to handle pa duties at gigs. I've read alot of info in here, asked a bunch of questions, got a lot of good answers. Just wondering if you guys could help me with some other stuff. I know that it is best to have compessors, limiters, crossovers, ect, in the mix, but I don't know much about any of these devices (or others for that matter). I read the guide for goobers (which is great) and went back through alot of threads to find pieces of info that I need, but nothing that will just flat out tell you what a limiter is, how it works, and how to set them. I would appreciate any info resources from the mixer to the speakers. Thanks.

Yes, I have read all of the manuals. Just looking for more.

• Members

I would agree completely. As someone who's not very many shows past the first, it's still challenging enough getting all the gear we have set up and soundchecked and sounding good, without trying to complicate it further with equipment whose purpose you (and I!) are not really sure about, let alone know how to use.

• Members

I understand that it is important to get the basics down. I have been working on the basics. Still learning of coarse. What I am looking for is just info on these pieces of equipment (along with the info on running the board, eq's and such). What they do, why you would want to use them. I already own a compressor/limiter/gate, crossover, driverack pa, dual 31 band eq and bunches of other stuff that I bought in a package a while ago. They are sitting in my garage not in use. I eventually want to get to the point where I know how to use all of this stuff. I'm not saying that it's gonna be in the rack tomorrow, I just need a starting point for it. I'm also looking for info on running the board and eq'ing a system.

• Members

As for your question on the compressor's, Their is a very good document on DBX's website called compression 101. It is located in the literature section under white papers. I explains compressors very good. Hope this helps,

• Members

Hey Axeman,

As you've discovered this forum is a gold mine of real world useful information but if you're looking for more meat and potatos stuff, check out your local music store. There's a lot of books out there that attempt to teach sound reinforcement. I know Yamaha and Mackie both have useful books like that out. Here's a link to the Yamaha book.

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reinforcement-Handbook-Gary-Davis/dp/0881889008

I have not honestly read one, so I can't tell you how useful it's going to be for you. I'm a completely visual hands on learner but you may find it useful.

Good luck.

Kevin

• Members

What type of equipment do you currently own?Maybe some of the folks here can help you with that ,then decide what you may need to improve or build on as needed.You may find that money can be saved by not buying stuff you don't need for your application.I really like learning from this forum.

• Members

Thank you all for your help. This info gives me a good starting point.

Right now the equipment we're using is:

Soundcraft Folio board

Driverack PA

TC Electronic effects

Crown 602 xls amps

JBL JRX 115 Mains

No-Name homemade subs

Peavey Monitors

That is what we are using. I also have the following epuipment that I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or sell it (I got it in a package deal with some other stuff).

DBX 1066 Compressor/Limiter/Gate

Alesis Microverb 4

Aphex Compellor

Not high end epuipment, I know. But again, we're just weekend worriors.

• Members
Right now the equipment we're using is:

Soundcraft Folio board

Have you read the manual? here's a link.

Driverack PA

The link to the manual.

TC Electronic effects

I don't know whick you have, but here is a good one.

Crown 602 xls amps

This one is at the bottom of the page here.

JBL JRX 115 Mains

Here is the info for these.

No-Name homemade subs

Peavey Monitors

That is what we are using. I also have the following epuipment that I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or sell it (I got it in a package deal with some other stuff).

DBX 1066 Compressor/Limiter/Gate

DBX 1066 here.

Alesis Microverb 4

Under digital processors.

Aphex Compellor

A manual on this web page.

Not high end epuipment, I know. But again, we're just weekend worriors.

Most everything is really kinda nice gear. Read the manuals and if you have more questions about specific issues with something you don't understand that's in those manuals, shout it out here. :wave:

• Members

I know you have read all the manuals, but there are people here looking for information too. This is all pretty common equipment here. I was trying to get all the info together in one place.

Regarding your questions about using your equipment; Is there a sound man you know that you could get in touch with that could help you along with the information you need? You should compensate him in some way for information he gives you.

What you are asking for on this forum is very broad. Maybe start a new thread that deals with only one issue at a time. Also, use google to search for information on this forum like this.

Archived